What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Reasonable price for an O-540?

acpilot

Well Known Member
Patron
Presently trying to decide on the correct RV for me. I had my mind made up on the 9A, however, as many have hinted, my wife is more on board with the 4 seat 10. I have browsed the Vans site and looked at the extra cost involved. I saw what the price is on a new 540. $$$$. I am curious what is a reasonable price for a 800-1000 hour 540 for example? Also, curious the advice on buying a 2000 hour and having it rebuilt. Just wondering what other RV-10 builders did.

I spoke with Zephyr engines in Florida a while back and got a price of $23k (from memory) for a rebuild if I could supply a good core. At the time, I was looking at a 1700 hour engines out of a Comanche that was available locally for ~$9500. So that would have put the entire package at ~$33k for a 0 SMOH engine. BUT, it would have had a 50 year old crank, a 50 year old case, etc.

Could you get a good core for less than $9500? Maybe, but you're still going to end up with $30k or thereabouts in an engine with a lot of calendar time on it.

I've looked at the numbers and figure I could take that $9500 core and put another $10-15k in it in parts and machine work and rebuild it myself, reducing the cost to $20-25k, but with no warranty support.

Ultimately, from a pilot/owner's perspective, you won't see a difference between a rebuild and a new engine. The performance should be the same. But, on the resale market, the market is efficient, and will value the airplanes differently - probably by the approximate difference in engine cost.

So, ultimately, it is up to you. All of the options work.

It depends

It seems you can make whichever method you want work. A 2000 hour engine that you have rebuilt by BPA, Aerosport, or similar often ends up close to the price from Van's give or take.

You can "budget" rebuild yourself or with the help of a local A&P and possibly save some money too.

It's been a while since I looked but mid time engines, if you can find any, seemed to run in the $20k +/- range. How much additional you'd need to spend depends on what model engine I guess. How many hours a year will you fly? That helps you figure how long a mid time engine will work for you.

Call Bob Barrows, the BearHawk designer. He does a good business rebuilding and selling O-540s, and is someone you can trust to do really good work. When I checked two years ago, the price was 24K with mags etc.
Jerry Folkerts

Bill and Jerry

Are those prices for a mid life engine or a rebuilt 540?

Those would be rebuilt engines. The problem (as I know it from a Bearhawk builder) is that Bob is a one man show and doesn't build many engines, so you need to get on his list early.

Used IO540

I purchased a 700 hour C4B5 from LyCon in Visalia, CA for $23K. The price included a top O/H with replacement of pistons to higher comp ratio (10:1)as well as their flow/porting process. They dyno'd it and gave me all the relevant data, then 'pickled it'. I haven't installed it yet. Came with starter and alternator.

Back