What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

frozen check valve in electrical fuel pump

RancherDave

I'm New Here
Hi Guys. I have an RV4 with an o-360 A1A. There is the standard facet electric fuel pump mounted beneath the fuel selector valve. I last flew a couple of weeks ago in warm weather. Since then it has mostly been at or below freezing here. When I went to fly the other day I primed as normal for cold wx. The engine started but I noticed the fuel press was zero. The engine then quit. There was fuel in the lines up to the elec fuel pump but none after. I pulled the pump and shook it out and blew everything out of the pump. I think the ball in the check valve must have been stuck or frozen or the engine driven pump would have allowed the engine to run. The elec pump only has 100 hr.s on it since new. When I reassembled everything the fuel flow was normal. I let it pump a gallon through the open gascolator and then closed everything up. Everything back to normal. My plan is to operate normally and if it does it again replace the pump. Any thoughts or advice? Thx in advance.

Back