What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Canopy side skin faring

RepmikeBrown

Well Known Member
What's the best method for bending the aluminum curve fared to the canopy sides?
I've used the wood block and 1/2" bar method in the book. After putting the slight bend to fit the canopy the compound bend around the side now isn't fitting. Experience from those who've been down this ride would greatly be appreciated. Already looks like I'm going to have to order another piece of aluminum. It's been so true when I was told "you build two airplanes and throw one away"
Mike

I would say that is the hardest single piece in the build. I won't advise you as I have not completed it yet. Lots of guys make it in 2 or more pieces, splicing where the rivet lines are 2/3rds back on the canopy. Nobody who has built one would blame you if you did it that way.

I think there is a very good reason why this piece is glass on the RV 8.

Oversize edge roller

I am an aircraft sheetmetal guy by trade, and still had to "hold my mouth right" when I did my skirts. I actually ditched the supplied skirts and started from scratch (I think it was .020"or .025") that I cut a bit larger. First, I made a thin cardboard template, finger bending the canopy angle into it, and taping all in place. After that was close, I flattened it out on the metal and cut it close to size. I made a tool that looks like a big edge roller , using 2 nylon wheels about 1.5" dia, .75" thick and rounded edges bolted to a piece of square tubing with about .080" between them. You hold this in your hand, put the edge of the skin between the rollers and tilt it as you draw it along the edge, slowly working the flange to its shape. Because the canopy/fairing angle changes continuously, you have to work it more at the front than the back..hard to explain, but it takes time and patience...and a few beers in my case. I wish I had made a video as I have explained this so many times to other -4 builders. Good luck!

Old threads

I don't know if you have done a search, but back in 2014 I typed a long photo laden post describing my canopy skirt fabrication methods here. See post #7. Just one way to do it.

Brian and all,
Thanks for the help and most of all for the pics. This helps so much.
I'll post pics when I'm done
Mike

Back