What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-4 panel upgrade

redhawk

Well Known Member
Hello out there,
I am contemplating upgrading my old style panel in my 4 to a simple, 1 screen do-it-all display, (with a couple back up "steam gauges") possibly adding a autopilot (already have a pictorial roll a/p and servo and harness in the box ready to go). Good time for the ADS-B as well....
Looking for ideas for a simple, budget friendly system...
Any thoughts, advice, etc would be appreciated!
Thanks

My former partner and I did similar. We went G3X all Garmin.

Deets and pics are in this link

The plane is actually lighter and does everything a jet can do short of going into the clouds (legally).

It's pretty amazing overall, price isn't cheap but it was very competitive and the quality is top notch. It also fits nicely in the tight -4 panel.

-Bruce

Oh yeah... my old micro-air just stopped working. I replaced it as well with GTX32E and a GDL-39 in. All up ADS-B was about 3k.

For the G3X with A/P and AoA, blah blah I recall it landing mid 6k's. Talk with someone, consider what you want and bundle a deal. I'm vaguely contemplating an IFR GPS for the WAAS and approaches. That would be another ~8k but it would link to the G3X and give great SA.

Nobody said it would be cheap, but does it have to be this expensive?!

-Bruce

i went with a 10 inch dynon. with their transponder and the new gps2020 you are ADSB compliant and with the in box you get it all. best move I have made with it.the photo is before I had the engine module and the GPS set up.

DSC_0135_zps75c77e10.jpg

here it is with everything hooked up

images

Last edited:
It's pretty amazing overall, price isn't cheap but it was very competitive and the quality is top notch. It also fits nicely in the tight -4 panel.-Bruce

Bruce in doing your upgrade it appears you had to lower the panel and thereby cutting the the stick for clearance. Have you found your stick pressures in pitch higher?

My canopy and panel are very non-standard. I cut about 1.5" off the top of the panel and made it more rounded rectangle than semi-circular (very little arc int he middle, more on either end) and dropped the bottom about 1" lower. I also tilted the panel about 20 degrees off vertical which is my best improvement. Glare is not an issue as it's still not enough to reflect back to my eyes.

On the stick, I cut maybe 1" off about two years ago after it was flying, force differences where totally imperceptible. Still not as light as my old -3, but never was. Oddly my -4 is about the same empty weight (950lbs).

The Garmin G3X Touch is gorgeous, but it's not exactly simple. ;)

[nods] Yup, you are right.

I had a Dynon/EFIS pack in my -4 before the G3X upgrade. I would do it over again in a heartbeat. The G3X is actually simpler in operations because it's just better put together as a package. The radio picks up the flight plan frequencies. The weather and notams just show up on the moving map. Traffic shows on the maps and PFD if it's in front of me. It's all kinda magic.

..this from a salty stick and rudder "keep it light" pilot/builder

Rv4 panel upgrade

Thanks everybody.
I'm leaning towards the GRT Sport panel for the "affordability😬" and I know they have great customer support...

Back