What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

What camping gear to fit in an RV8?

Westerhuis

Right, Oshkosh is two months away so time to get the preparation going. First trip to Oshkosh, so let's see what the hype is all about. Can't wait.

Me and my better half will be taking my RV8 and the idea is to pitch a tent and spend the week camping under one of the wings. Question, any tips on what to get? Looking for good compromise between quality, size and price. I have to be able to pack a tent, two sleeping mats / air mattresses and a couple of sleeping bags in the RV8 with some space to spare for some clean underwear and a change of cloths.

Can go out there and find something suitable but I am sure I am not the first one who needs these things so some tried and tested suggestions would be good.

Thanks and hope to meet loads of you in Oshkosh soon.

REI has a sale that begins 5/18. Most of their house branded stuff will be 30% off, which makes it a reasonable value.

My suggestion is at least a 3 person tent (which, IMO is fairly tight for 2 people), which has a low profile, two doors, and a fly that goes all the way to the ground.

If you have the useful load to spare, sheets and blankets are much more comfortable than a sleeping bag since you can layer to manage temperatures more easily.

I'd also pick up a pair of lightweight folding chairs like these:

https://www.amazon.com/KING-DO-WAY-...pID=51xWNH3ienL&preST=_SY300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch

I too like REI, if it is quality gear for backpacking it will fit and be lighter.
We have replaced some of the heavier sleeping bags and tent you see pictured but this all fits, most in the forward Bay but those big sleepling bags and one other in the rear luggage bay. That works best for my CG. About 50 pounds in front and 12 in back.
The list of bags; cooking and stove gear in green bag, my clothes grey, wife’s clothes purple, round bag is BBQ food cooler combo, 2 sleeping bags, two REI chairs in blue and grey bags (on sale $50 each right now) two sleeping pads, green mesh food bag, three man tent and water jug. Not pictured but included in weights is emergency bag first aid water tools parts tie downs canopy cover oil at 18lbs.
Pack several small bags rather than bigger.

2njc5ko.jpg

2zpmu8l.jpg

Last edited:
Hi Rogier,

You don't need much for cold weather protection, but rain is quite probable and maybe gusty winds.

Tie-down stakes for the RV (you could buy some there from the vendors).

Lots of gallon zip-loc bags. Pack a day's worth of t-shirt and undies in each to make finding clean stuff in the morning easier and protect all your bits and pieces from rain ingress when you leave the flysheet open by mistake!

Flip-flops or open sandals for the shower.

Mosquito repellant

REI have a members' sale running to the end of the month with 20% off one full price item on-line or in store. I could help if you're not yet a member. They're advertising the Kelty Discovery 4 for $99 which looks a good bet with plenty of space and only 10lb.

Don't bother with chairs, coolers, cookware etc. We'll have plenty there for you to use:D

If you do forget anything then Walmart is not far away.

Wally world.

Walmart has good two man tents for $30 or less. I just get two of the shipping mats from Tractor Supply and use them to line the floors of the front and rear baggage areas. Then use them as a floor mat in the tent after it is set up. Those blue shipping mats from T.S. only weigh 2 Lbs. each. The rest of the supplies are up to you, but I like to pack some "M.R.E.'s", the dollar store has Beanny Weenies and V. Sausages for a buck each, then some bottled water, say 6 of each, along with some Pop Tarts and plastic spoons and farks. It makes it easier if you can't get lunch where you stop or get forced down somewhere. A goody bag like this is only 8 or 10 Lbs. and by the time I get home half of that is gone. Your only going to use this stuff two or three times a year. It really does not have to be all that costly or heavy.

Just another two pennies. Yours, R.E.A. III # 80888

Last edited:
Headlamps for when you have to use a portajon in the middle of the night and need your hands free.

I've been to Oshkosh several times in the RV-8. Here's the packing list I used. I'll be taking my RV-7 this year, and I suspect I can pack more stuff in it. I've always been able to fit everything below in the RV-8 though:

- Day Prior:
Refuel
Tires
Oxygen
Reservations, hotel, car
Verify tower, FBO, restaurant hours
Charge iPad and update Foreflight
Download movies

- Sunglasses
- WX Brief and file
- NOTAMS / TFRs
- Pen
- Squirt bottle
- Microfiber towels
- Tie downs
- Control locks
- Airplane cover
- Tool bag
- Fuel tester
- Oil, 2 bottles
- Headsets / batteries
- Earplugs
- O2 Canulas
- Hats
- Sunscreen
- Sunglasses
- iPad
- Charger(s) and cables
- Camera
- GoPro
- Coats
- Food & Water
- Blanket
- Snacks
- Daypacks
- First aid kit
- Pillows
- Clothes, underwear, socks
- AirVenture tickets
- EAA member cards
- HBC / VFR / IFR printed signs
- Airventure NOTAM
- Daypack backpack
- Head lamps
- Lip balm
- Trash bags
- Wet wipes
- Ponchos
- 4-person Tent
- Stake hammer
- Extra tent stakes
- Duct tape
- Seam seal
- Sleeping bags
- Inflatable sleeping pads
- Pillows
- Small tripod chairs
- Toiletries
- Earplugs
- Jackets/hats/gloves
- Towels
- Flip flops
- Food
- Flashlights
- Lantern
- Mirror
- Hand Broom
- 550 cord for clothes line
- Solar charger
- Bath towels
- Clamps for hanging towels on prop
- Ziploc bags

Two things immediately come to mind:

1. Assume it will rain and it may come up very quickly. Light weight rain gear that you can stuff in your day bag or whatever. Maybe just a hat. And, do not leave your tent unzipped.

2. Maybe it's just something I'm not used to since I live in the hot and humid south, but cool and humid don't happen here often. It is often cool and humid at OSH and you will be walking around sweating in 70 degree weather. Pack breathable clothing. This drives me crazy when I'm there.

FedEx

I believe you can also FedEx your supplies to OSH and back. Or...get a ride across the street to Walmart for things you are willing to purchase, then leave behind.

I hope there are organizations that gather the "left behind" things for charity,etc. Lots of it.

Karl,
You just convinced me NOT to go to OshKosh.

Meh. Don't worry about it. It's just another camping trip. You can be as comfortable or as primitive as you choose to be. The point is that you can actually fit plenty of comfort into your little RV if you plan ahead. Been doing it for years. It's really no big deal, but it does require some thought. When I used to do Oshkosh in a Cessna 172, I packed like a slob and probably took at least 50 pounds of stuff I didn't really need. Later after getting an RV, I learned to plan like an Apollo mission.

Last edited:
Coleman Tent

REI is expensive. A Coleman tent is great for rain and cost only a little. Coleman tents have a great bottom material too so no wet comes in the bottom.

Bug juice. You'll want to keep the bugs off at dusk.

Rain parka, or coat or umbrella for walking around when its raining. Not often.

There is a store on site you can buy whatever you forget.

Be sure to check out the movies at night. Very fun. Need a lawn chair.

If I forget something, I'm making a b-line for Karl's tent! He has stuff on his list TWICE.

One area where you don't want to skimp at Oshkosh is on your tent. I have probably attended Oshkosh and/or SnF 35 times over the years. Probably half of those times (more at Oshkosh than SnF) there has been at least one mother of a thunderstorm. I've seen flipped airplanes, knocked over porta potties, and dozens of destroyed tents. It isn't any fun being one of the people (and I've seen a lot of 'em) who had a tent destroyed by a 2 AM thunderstorm, got themselves and everything they brought to the show soaked, and have to use the airplane as a drying rack for the next couple of days.

Two rules for airplane camping tents (OK, 3 rules):

1) Buy a tent with a low profile. This helps with the wind.
2) Buy one with a rain fly that reaches all the way to the ground. This prevents blowing rain from entering.
3) Buy one with aluminum poles. They can be bent back into shape if something bad happens. Fiberglass just shatters.

Here's a link to a storm picture from Oshkosh about 5 years ago. This one was spooky - high winds, rain, and upended planes. Unfortunately, something like this hits the show about every other year. My tent held up fine.

http://www.laurastants.com/images/images2/storm.jpg

Last edited:
Back