What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV's and Monday Night Football

What a GREAT way to publicize RV's:D

Did you get to give the announcers a script, so they will get their info correct??

Interesting, Robert, I heard about strange lights being seen the other night over the north part of KC. Guess that was it, huh?

From the Beechnutz forum...

Driving home this evening I was west of Arrowhead as the fireworks went off. Then coming from the east above the smoke was a broad mass of lights. As I drove closer and the lights came near I could see they were landing lights from the wings of a number of aircraft trailing smoke. I could not be sure of the number, but as I drove and glanced up it looked like four in a diamond - then a second glance it looked like six. Later I saw the formation headed toward Lee's Summit.

-Jim

It was shown on ESPN's SportCenter

Did anyone see it or did the network skip it.

Gary,
I TiVo most football games, so I can skip over the pre-game and commercials. I didn't read about the fly over till after watching the game and deleting it from my TiVo. That said, I was just watching SportCenter on ESPN. They not only showed the fly over [viewed from above the flight formation and looking down into the stadium - very cool] but commented positively on it, too. It was during the segment listed as CHARGERS PROBLEM. You should be able to see it on SportCenter today.
Charlie

Last edited:
We will have more video up as it becomes available. The Chief's are supposed to supply us with their video as well as the video from the ESPN Camera ship. They played the overhead shot during the 3rd quarter of the game and it was awesome.

We also have Nflightcam shots from my headband mount and Jake set one up on the belly of #2 pointed down. We'll see how it turns out.

Fox 4 ran a story this morning with the video replay many times. Click on:

http://www.fox4kc.com/news/wdaf-kc-...onday-night-football-20111031,0,7485777.story

They interviewed Ripper, I have not heard the audio yet.

We had a great time. It was a safe flight and all went as briefed. BeeGee was leading and talking to the ESPN camera ship all the way in. Said we looked "Different, like a B2 Bomber". After the pass he gave us a critique. Said it was "Very Safe and Professional". I've got it recorded and will get the video up later today.

Turned into a long night. Overtime game, did not get home till 1:00 AM. Thought about leaving early, but they put us up in a Suite and it just did not seem right to bail out early!

The best part was my 11 year old son Sean got to ride along and had his picture on the Jumbotron during the 3rd quarter. Said it was "His best Halloween Ever"!

Wow. Sometimes I forget how eh...uneducated non-aviation folks are. You were late because you are airplanes...not the A10s they thought you were. I guess they wanted you to fly through the fireworks as they were being lit :)

Great job

Kind of a sanity check on our responsibility to keep GA safe and alive.

Wow. Sometimes I forget how eh...uneducated non-aviation folks are. You were late because you are airplanes...not the A10s they thought you were. I guess they wanted you to fly through the fireworks as they were being lit :)

Great job

We hit the time hack to the second. That Video was shot from the parking lot. Observers in the stands said The timing was perfect.

Nice!

"Lamb said he and his team are the first civilian formation team to do a flyover for an NFL game in non military aircraft."

Great job KC Flight! It is nice to see favorable coverage of GA. Too bad they couldn't get into the background story of being homebuilts, etc. Our segment could use the good PR in particular.

We hit the time hack to the second. That Video was shot from the parking lot. Observers in the stands said The timing was perfect.

You guys did great. I should have used the sarcastic smiley. The people in the video said you were late, and A10 (not UFOs) :)

how does it work?

Logistics question. Just out of curiosity of how things work.

Do they give you an exact time to fly over? And who is "they"? FOX? NFL?

Hard to believe they can control a singer of the National Anthem to the second.

Lots of planning, land lots of luck. While they can't give you an end time to the second, every fly over I've done they do start on time +\- 3 seconds. The network is who runs the timing. Not sure how these guys did it, but for a sporting event we have a guy on the ground we're talking to, and we know generally how long the artist sings. From there you can back it up. For the one below, I youtubed the singer, got an average of 1:35 for his performance, at 300 knots g/s I know how far out to hold, the guy on the ground will tell us as they're getting ready to start so that we can be pointed at the field when it begins. From there it's timing corrections.... The goal is to do this on national TV!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wMmIKoC3DQQ&feature=youtube_gdata_player

It's pretty cool. The Chief's Production Manager (who we worked with) puts out a schedule timed to 30 second blocks. All kinds of stuff right up to kick off. We were scheduled at 7:38:30 with Kickoff at 7:40.

We found out from our guy in Mission Control (because that's what the room looks like) that they wanted us push up our time 10 seconds. I just watched the video and he made the radio call just as Lead called "Smoke On". Everyone I talked to that was in the Stadium said the timing was perfect.

The Stadium was Rocking last night, so not many people heard us. But as loud as it was, I'm not sure you would have heard a A-10 that well either.

The Chief's put on a excellent show last night and were outstanding hosts to us. Great time.

Last edited:
Cockpit View

Shot with my Nflightcam on a headband mount. We can see more than the camera picks up, but the cool part is the Audio. "Cool 11" is the ESPN camera ship. At the beginning you will hear my son asking a question which I try to blow off as I am kind of busy:)

The camera has a built is GPS and our Ground speed was between 150-160 MPH as we passed the stadium.

http://youtu.be/7AFl7tiCJ3s

Wow!

Husker,
Great video! I was on the edge of my seat as I watched it. Very exciting.
The audio was great. The little strobe noise made me feel like I was right there!

You guys did a great job!
Way to go KC Flight!

Mark

Great job guys.

I am glad Ripper could help my KC Chiefs out. They
needed it.

That is REALLY cool! Great job representing GA. :cool:

One question. How difficult is it to see the hinge/ spinner at night for position keeping?

That is REALLY cool! Great job representing GA. :cool:

One question. How difficult is it to see the hinge/ spinner at night for position keeping?

It takes a little getting used to. I'm not sure if it shows on the video but the strobe lights up the hinge every few seconds. You extrapolate everything from there. You also must stay in close (parade) to see the lines you need to see. So route position at night means move out 4.3 feet :)

The only difficult parts are the join up, which you must do slowly and turns. For some reason (no horizon) it takes awhile to recognize that lead is initiating a turn. We usually brief that lead will call all turns at night.

We've developed some experience doing this over a long time. Don't try it all at once.

UFO....

Awesome that you got some national air time. You looked much more like a UFO when you were over Lees Summit in the oval formation, for lack of a better description. You circled 3 times over our hood in SE LS and my daughter thought you were the Millennium Falcon... she's a real Star Wars fan. Had to be a great night aloft, cool and dead calm on the ground. Always great to see you guys in the air. Be safe.

Ripper,
Very nice job on the newscast!
I'd have been stuttering like Porky Pig:D

Looking forward to more from KC Flight!

Mark

Awesome stuff!!! Amazing job in the flyover and the interviews for the local news there as well.

Great representation for GA and Vans aircraft!

Sunday Night Football

KC Flight is scheduled to fly over Steelers vs Chiefs this Sunday night 11/27 Arrowhead Stadium in Kansas City.

How was it??

I watched but NBC didn't show anything of the fly-over that I could see :mad:
They were showing replays of other games :confused:

Looking forward to seeing some videos from the KC Flight guys!

Mark

Back