What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Integrated RV-14 Introduction Thread

messing with our minds!

I think they are just messing with our minds. Either that or a test balloon to see how much interest there is in a new model. From reading this, quite a bit of interest. Heck, Im interested and I just started my 9!

Or maybe they just wanted to reserve a number. It only costs $10.

Whatever the RV-14 is, the most significant thing may be that Van's appear to have enough confidence in the future of the homebuilt market and amateur aviation generally to invest in another new design.

Vansgate

Well, now that it's out I am sure there will be local RV folks parked at Aurora awaiting test flights. If it did not fly last weekend, it could be a while for weather to get better as rain is expected for another week.

Ryan

Whatever the RV-14 is, the most significant thing may be that Van's appear to have enough confidence in the future of the homebuilt market and amateur aviation generally to invest in another new design.

Van's is the leader of the homebuilt market, and is expected to produce the next step. With product loyalty, he has a captive audience.

I'm going to register mine as an RV-15A just to mess with you guys
It's one thing to have an RV-15A registered to Fresno @ VAF, another thing entirely to have an RV-15A registered to Vans Aircraft, Aurora... :D

Sorry to burst your bubble :p

Anyone based near Aurora can perhaps do a few circuits there and get the good oil?

I think they are just messing with our minds. Either that or a test balloon to see how much interest there is in a new model. From reading this, quite a bit of interest. Heck, Im interested and I just started my 9!

Or maybe they just wanted to reserve a number. It only costs $10.

Yeah, but this isn't an N-number reservation. It's assigned to a registered aircraft.

Airworthiness Cert?

If I understand the FAA's system correctly (which is a BIG if), N214VA is now a valid registration... but it does not yet have an airworthiness certificate. So it seems unlikely that it will be spotted at Aurora, Lakeland, or anywhere in between (unless it's on a trailer). Is that correct?

-jon

I have a reliable source with insider information that told me it is an all metal, one man rigging, 18M with 20M winglet, 42:1 motor glider with a retractable Jet sustainer.

If you haven't heard any good rumors by noon, start one.

Maybe yes, maybe no.....

Don't depend too much an the FAA website to have the correct data for airworthiness. The paperwork has to go through several channels before it get back to Oklahoma City. And even then, they are not always quick to get the information recorded.

I found out!!!!!!!

....My gardeners, physic's dog groomer's 14th cousin's stepsister, told his mechanic's mistress that he was told from a good source that it's actually a flying saucer of some sort. So! You can take this to the bank! Am glad I could clear this up for everyone, Allan :D
....P.S. We will be making a full compliment of Anti-Splat-Aero nose gear accessories for this saucer as well.

Last edited:
....P.S. We will be making a full compliment of Anti-Splat-Aero nose gear accessories for this saucer as well.

Allan, will this include Alien Math?? :D

Commonality is part of Van's design heritage

I'm guessing it will use the RV-12 fuselage or perhaps some major components of the RV-12 with different wings and a different engine (maybe a Lycoming IO-233 engine as someone suggested.) When Van came out with the RV-8, then the RV-9 and then the RV-7, there was a big effort (successful) to incorporate common structural components among the three as much as possible. I'm thinking we'll see some RV-12 components in the RV-14A. Interesting though that the 12 doesn't have the "A" suffix and the 14A does. Hmmmm...one never knows. :cool:

Maybe we'll know by 9:00 AM EDT Friday. :)

I have a cousin who is good with a Ouija board and has learned that it is in fact a kit built space capable vehicle. Van partnered with Burt Rutan to get a jump on the homebuilt space travel market.

Secret's out, RV-8 With Corsair Wings

f4u%2520rv.jpg

CLose

But I'm thinking the A in the designation is for Arresting hook!:D

That's a good looking 8 with the Corsair wings!

Probably a nose-dragger.

Possibly but I'd think somewhat unlikely that it's DR's hope.

Probably not a high-wing airplane but I wouldn't rule it out completely.

Probably not an updated and revised RV-3, but that might be wishful thinking since I've got the kits for an RV-3B on order.

It's most likely a new airplane, not a small change to an existing one, but it might use components from the existing fleet.

Most likely not a jet or electric airplane.

What does this leave?

Well, maybe a tandem version of an RV-9. Or maybe a load-hauler six-seater. Or maybe a bush-optimized and still fast side by side two-seater with a low wing, which is my guess.

Dave

If you're speculating -anyone consider a revised RV-12?

How about a Lycoming 0-233-powered -12 with non-removable wings, wing tanks and a few other minor changes in the E-AB category.

This is nothing but speculation. I haven't read all the postings on the RV-14 speculation, so this may have already been thought of.

How about a Lycoming 0-233-powered -12 with non-removable wings, wing tanks and a few other minor changes in the E-AB category.

This is nothing but speculation. I haven't read all the postings on the RV-14 speculation, so this may have already been thought of.

I doubt that it would be worth their while to tweak the RV-12. The 12 can already be built as E-AB, and the heavier Lycoming would mean significant design changes and probably take it out of the LSA category due to the weight restrictions.

However, it may be an 0-233 powered non-LSA category aircraft similar to the 12 but faster and with an increased MTOW. Like the VLA category which has a MTOW of 750kg (1650lb). In other words a mid-range, cheaper and easier to build and maintain RV9, which may eventually be able to be flown by sport pilots if the FAA ever decides to follow the VLA model.

Tandem LSA...

Great news!

My RV-9 based bush plane will be on order next week!
Either that or it is an RV-4 replacement.
Or maybe an RV-12 tandem. That's it! A tandem version of the RV-12!

That is my current fantasy. O-233 powered TANDEM LSA. Don't want to get my hopes up... but if it is... Check's in the mail as soon as I can order...

sigh... :D

dj

SSSSOOOOOOOO are we all going to see this revealation at SnF??????

If it's a hot air balloon, we can all help fill it up!!:D:D:D:D:D

Roberta:):):D:D

A two-seat motorglider wouldn't be out of the picture, either. A good one would position Van's for a next-generation electric drive.

Dave

Well....... Who is taking Scott McDaniels and few others from Van's out for pizza and a LOT of beer? One of them will talk! Please post your report. :):)

What happened at the "What's ne at Van's" forum?

Did the topic of the RV 14A come up today? Rick 90432

Just Ask?

Has anyone asked Van's at the booth? I have never thought that they were very secretive about anything they are working on.

They go back and forth. The RV-7 caught most by surprise.

Yes it did catch folks by surprise. And the reason was because Van's didn't want to impact sales of the -6 while the -7 was under development. The -7 was effectively the replacement for the -6. I would not doubt if the secrecy of this new airplane is because it would effectively "replace" an existing model or otherwise impact sales negatively if it's development was public knowledge.

An rv13 section would be bad luck. An rv14 section is simply good planning. :D

I'm watching and listening too, but Douggie, don't you dare... [ed. Good advice. ;^) I'll wait til they announce whatever it is. dr]

Last edited by a moderator:
Back