What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

USA: Nevada

I got my private license out of Las Vegas 10 years ago and had a blast flying the C-152 to a 1200' dirt runway that sat on top of a high bluff overlooking the mouth of the grand canyon where the Colorado River dumped into Lake Mead (above Pearce Ferry). I don't remember what it was called, or if it's still there, but if so, the view was beautiful. The north end of the runway ended about 20' short of the 3-400' cliff so you could do carrier landings to the south, or do approaches to the north keeping the wheels off and shooting off the cliff--in a -152 it felt like the last scene of Thelma and Louise only in a volkswagon bug. On the way back to 'Vegas do a couple of laps over the Hoover Dam, fly over the valley of fire or land at Echo Bay and get a ride down to the dock for a burger.

Mike

There is a really cool place in NV and you can go there VFR. There is a landing fee and overnight parking costs $40 but there are a lot of choices on affordable lodging.

Runways are in great shape.

You will be treated like a boss.

They love RVs there in Nevada and there are special parking spots for them.

An affordable lodging (read Motel 6) is just across the fence and FBO shuttle will give you a 2 minute ride to it. You can see your baby from the window.

I love to stay by my RV and see her from the window. Especially after midnight...

Anybody recognize the place?

Nice! You're in my town now...I'm hangered up in the North Las Vegas airport. My son who is in Navy pilot training now flew his T-34 out on a cross country a few months ago and parked right about where you are now. Good fun!

Enjoy

Mark

Back