What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

rear cabin cover fit

TomSpencer46

permagrit is your friend!

I used permagrit tools to make short work of any fiberglass that needed to be removed...

Which permagrit items did you use

Can you provide the sources, SKU numbers, and quantities recommended for finishing the fiberglass work?

Tom, I had the same problem. I marked the desired location of the joggle, then used a sanding block with sandpaper on its edge only to sand back the joggle. I placed a smooth side of the sanding block on the cabin cover flange, and used the edge of the sanding block to sand back the joggle transition. Not a big job and it came out just fine.

An alternate method would be to handle it like the joggles for the empennage fairings and wingtips where you sand away more material than you need, then contour back with micro...

Thank you Kyle. Yesterday I used the Dremel setup as a router. Today I will sand it smooth. Why does Vans build this thing so oversize that so much has to be cut off.

Thank you Kyle. Yesterday I used the Dremel setup as a router. Today I will sand it smooth. Why does Vans build this thing so oversize that so much has to be cut off.

Yours is the first I've heard about, but that doesn't mean that others haven't experienced the same thing.

Don't worry about sanding too much. You're going to cover it will fiberglass to cover up the rivet line and the gap line.

Back