What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Need help for wireless engine preheat control

Larry DeCamp

Well Known Member
I moved the RV to an airport with only 110v power and no WIFI. I have a WEMO switch. It is a 30 minute drive to the airport and my Cell phone is ATT. How can I turn on my engine preheat from home with my phone ? I googled rasberry pi but I am too digitally challenged to decide what to do.

AT&T Changed Their Support As Of 1/1/2017

Larry,

I installed a Verizon MiFi6620L hot spot, an Insteon hub, an Insteon switch, and an old Ethernet bridge I had on hand. My cost is $10.00 a month with a Verizon prepaid plan, but it's worth it not to drive 40 miles round trip just to plug in the preheater. I am using the Insteon app on my iPad to set the schedule, turn the preheater on and off, and check the status of Insteon switch.

Hope this helps.

Wemo

Download the WeMo app and follow the instructions. Instruction on the package are not the best but you can find video on google. When you pair your device,make sure you have the latest firmware updates. I had trouble at first but once I update it worked flawlessly.

Nice way to go with a one time cost of approximately $40.

Back