What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

AFS panel thoughts

C37AFE

I'm New Here
Anyone put or thinking of putting in AFS 5600? Trying to design panel. Was looking at a 5600 for left seat 3400 and sorcerer next to that, then radio stack, then top it off with a 5500 for the right seat. Virtual breakers. To much??????

Last edited:
You won't need the high dollar Sorcerer AP with the AFS system. Go with AFS's version of the less expensive TT model. They have developed a tight integration with that unit. The combo gives you advantages over the Sorcerer.

AFS Autopilot

"The combo gives you advantages over the Sorcerer."

I'm curious as to what the advantages are?

"The combo gives you advantages over the Sorcerer."

I'm curious as to what the advantages are?

Cost for one thing. $3500 vs $8000

Integration with the AP in that most if not all of the controls are on the EFIS screen. For the most part the AP control head is along for the ride.

Approach sequencing that eliminates a bunch of button pushing on the AP control head. Approach parameters like DH, MDA, etc. are entered into the EFIS and help the integrated system make your life easier.

Bunch of other reasons but I am not the best person to speak about them. Rob can answer all your questions....

Here is my panel, it is not AFS but can give you some idea (I hope)

I have really come to love this panel and its lay out, don?t think I would make any changes if I was going to re-do it. I also echo using a TT SVGV in place of Sorcerer if you are going to have a 430W type GPS/NAV. The panel is standard size with the exception of the throttle section.

DSC_6147 by bavafa1, on Flickr

This is close to my current plan: http://jmjula.home.comcast.net/~jmjula/panel.htm

I could fit the 5600 in a standard size panel, but it would be much tighter. The Gemini may be a Dynon D10A instead, and I will likely make room for an SL30 to backup the GTN for nav. Now I just need to figure out how to pay for all of this...

Good Choice

Good choice with AFS. I would recommend you find a 7 or something similar that has one of the larger screens. My neighbor has a 7A that will fly soon with a 5600 and a 696. To me the 5600 is a little larger for this size panel. Another neighbor, Chris Sands, built a gorgeous 7 with 2 4500 screens. Those are the perfect size and assist in creating balance in the panel.

On my new plane I opted for two 5500 screens. They are perfect for me. Just because there are larger screens available doesn't make them practical in all applications.

I agree with the others on the auto pilot. Serious overkill. Save the money. The Digiflight II VSGV will cover all of your needs.

x2

As Brantel says, get the AF-Pilot instead of the sorcerer, and you'll have a helluva panel. My panel is dual AFS (5500/3500) with garmin navcomm and ps-engineering audio in the middle. Some days you fly without looking at the panel, and some days you punch buttons and let the electrons do the work. Never gets old.

In my case, the 5500 is a few years newer that the rest of the panel, as it is replacing a large hole in my wallet that once occupied the primary efis position. My old efis was 10.5" and it required me to get a taller than stock panel, by about an inch. Not sure if the 5600 can squeeze into a stock panel or not.

good luck and enjoy.

Anyone put or thinking of putting in AFS 5600? Trying to design panel. Was looking at a 5600 for left seat 3400 and sorcerer next to that, then radio stack, then top it off with a 5500 for the right seat. Virtual breakers. To much??????

If you're still in the "financial and planning stage" as you say you are, then I wouldn't worry about deliberating on a panel at this juncture. By the time you are ready to instal avionics all the offerings will have certainly changed in form and function.

much thanks

Played with xpanel today and threw in all your suggestions and I think it will work out fine in the long run. I know by the time I get around to it something better might come along, but it's fun to imagine what will be.

Anyone use the zaon traffic system? The one that seems to go with the AFS seems like the built in antenna makes it a dash mount. How would that work out?

Thoughts on throttles, cessna vs piper style? I'm concerned my 6'3" 270 pound butt would have space problems.

<snip> Thoughts on throttles, cessna vs piper style? I'm concerned my 6'3" 270 pound butt would have space problems.

On the throttle layout...style is a personal preference, of course. However putting either on a center console that drops from the panel to the floor could have a big impact on comfort for a bigger guy. See if you can sit in both styles...the decision might be instant.

Doing the maintenence split S under the panel will also be far easier (and far less painful) with no center console, IMHO.

Good luck...fun to dream and scheme! Betcha end up with a big folder of possible panel layout files before ya decide! AMHIK! :D

Cheers,
Bob

Good choice with AFS. I would recommend you find a 7 or something similar that has one of the larger screens. My neighbor has a 7A that will fly soon with a 5600 and a 696. To me the 5600 is a little larger for this size panel. Another neighbor, Chris Sands, built a gorgeous 7 with 2 4500 screens. Those are the perfect size and assist in creating balance in the panel.

On my new plane I opted for two 5500 screens. They are perfect for me. Just because there are larger screens available doesn't make them practical in all applications.

I agree with the others on the auto pilot. Serious overkill. Save the money. The Digiflight II VSGV will cover all of your needs.

Blasphemy! There is no such thing! :D

fits...barely

xpaneled my plan out with a standard panel and it all fit in there,....very tight, but had room up top for any furture items. Where's best place for compass on tip up?

Best thing about building it yourself, is it's your way. Looking forward to getting kit in summer to get started. Just waiting to move to San Antonio and finding a place to put it together.

Back