What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Last 5-year 3rd class medical

Jesse

Well Known Member
I turn 40 on Monday, so I wanted to get my 3rd class medical before my birthday to utilize the 5-year rule. When I turn 45 I?ll be either doing Basic Med or getting 2-year 3rd class medicals.

Happy Birthday!

I like BasicMed better, because my primary care physician is a lot more thorough than my AME and I get more actual value out of the exam. My physicals are even covered by insurance. I took a normal physical and my PCP went through the FAA form at the end and signed me off.

The only reason I got a 2nd class medical this year (after BasicMed last year) is because I flew to Mexico and an FAA medical was required. I got my commercial certificate last year, so I got a 2nd class exam just for the heck of it. I’m not flying commercially. The main difference with the 3rd class were a few more eye tests. As long as I don’t fly internationally of for profit, I will never get an FAA medical again. The FAA medical was a joke and has very little value to me in terms of identifying a potential problem.

Last edited:
I turn 40 on Monday, so I wanted to get my 3rd class medical before my birthday to utilize the 5-year rule. When I turn 45 I?ll be either doing Basic Med or getting 2-year 3rd class medicals.

Jesse,

Fly up to KC this weekend and I will take care of that 3rd class for you. Then, you could see the nice work that you did on my RV-8!

I hope that you and your family are doing well. I enjoyed the time that I spent there (except dodging the storms on my way back...)

John

Sometimes it even gets better with age...:)

After over 4 decades of medicals I finally got the "Corrective Lenses Required" restriction removed when my nearsightedness corrected itself.

I want to fly into Canada so a 3rd class was needed, otherwise I would have gone BasicMed.

Back