What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

How much would this kit be worth?

jmjula

Well Known Member
I have a friend that may partner with me in my RV-7A to get her finished. He already has a project but hasn't really been working on it lately. He is considering selling his kit to partner with me but has no clue what he might get for it. Anyone care to guess how much his project is worth?

- Tail is built - fiberglass to be done still
- Slow build wings that are 75%ish of quickbuild stage - tanks are done and presure tested (one flop tube, one standard, capacitance plates)
- Quick build fuselage - untouched
- Aerosport rebuilt IO-360 vertical induction 180hp (all new components except crankcase) setup for long term storage, dessicant plugs have been kept dry.

I helped him build some of it, so I know the quality is good.

Thanks,
James

Worth

Figure losing 20% especially in todays market. Maybe only 10% if someone is close. Wild guess. Everything seem to be below reasonable market lately.

Last edited by a moderator:
Look with both eyes open!

Figure losing 20% especially in todays market. Maybe only 10% if someone is close. Wild A** guess. Everything seem to be below reasonable market lately.

James,

I agree with Bob. What I have done before is look at what it costs new from Vans and then track the classifieds and look what folks were selling them for. I found a minimum of 20% up to 55% off new prices(ok so I had a lot of time on my hands!). New "in the box" seems to hold value more than stuff that has been build.....perhaps because of folks unsure of builder quality in areas they can't see. I know some folks seem to ask high at first (prob due to personal investment) but it seems to never sell that high.....even completed aircraft with the current market. I would no longer over pay for an RV kit than I would for a house in the current market .....no sense in being under water from the start!:rolleyes:

To me a kit that has been completed by someone I trust or that I helped work on is more valuable than from a stranger.....sorry but its gonna be more of an art than science to figure the price:)

Yol Bolson James!

Back