What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Where would you stop?

Vlad

Well Known Member
Rough idea is here

e25badea.jpg

I have four days for this trip. Where would you stop?

$5.15 fuel and courtesy car at 8u8 in MT if you need it. Depending on when..... I might be able to get you a hangar and/or place to sleep.

I'm leaving friday morning for KEPH. But I might go to KYKM for lunch.

Are you visiting Cubcrafters?

Crossing Minnesota, you might think of diverting a little left and stopping in Duluth - Sky Harbor is a neat little airfield that looks like an aircraft carrier sticking out into the water. Interesting small city, and Lake Superior is beautiful. If you don't want to go out of your way, it looks like you need to stop and visit Stein and Bob Collins - your route is directly overhead!

I can't offer any sage advice here, but I just wanted to say Vlad, you're my hero. I can only dream about flying as much as you do....

If you want that free beer in a hunnerd year old saloon, you'll have to cut South into Wyoming.

Unless there is a high pressure system over the entire US for FOUR days straight...I am doubting you can do this in such a short period of time. And do you really want to cross the big lakes?

I think if you leave on a good day, Denver would be a good spot to aim for. From there you can assess the weather and mountains and forge ahead, or retreat!!

And do you really want to cross the big lakes?

If you take a route a liitle further north you can cross over at Beaver Island, and only be out of gliding distance for a few minutes. It would probably still be a little spooky, but it is better than a Muskegon/Sheboygan crossing.

That route would get you over the Upper Peninsula (UP 'eh) and near Duluth.

Unless there is a high pressure system over the entire US for FOUR days straight...I am doubting you can do this in such a short period of time. And do you really want to cross the big lakes?

I think if you leave on a good day, Denver would be a good spot to aim for. From there you can assess the weather and mountains and forge ahead, or retreat!!

I have a day in reserve just in case. What's wrong with
Great Lakes crossing? Airplane doesn't care :D the leg is not longer then Gulf of Maine.

What's wrong with
Great Lakes crossing? Airplane doesn't care :D the leg is not longer then Gulf of Maine.

Then why is it when you go to Florida (Turbo land), you follow the coast over Savanah? Why not just fly over the ocean direct?

v, enjoy the journey. got to fly over Niagara falls!!!!!! when are you planning on leaving? the NW is on my bucket list soon. never been. so much to see. good luck. :)

Last edited:
Yakima is where I got my dog. Suggestions, go to KUIL for the westernmost lower 48 airport and 48Y (Piney Pinecreek) in MN for the northernmost.

It's all Good

Yesterday (6-14-12) I flew our RV-6A from Fayeville, Arkansas to Ephrata, Washington with fuel stops in Goodland, Kansas, Sheridan, Wyoming and Missoula, Montana. Once you get into these mountains in Wyoming and westward just be prepared to be unprepared - beautiful, majestic, scary, special, all come to mind. Have a good trip.

Bob Axsom

Last edited:
Thank you all gentlemen. I am not looking for any record settings just a good way to spend a weekend. I would like to go as straight as possible and deviate only if adverse weather.

Still need help to split couple of massive legs :D

60c29b4f.jpg

I'm with you in spirit Vlad

Here we go once more. I?d better get the towels out and get ready to wipe the drool off my desk, again.

Additional stop

You might consider stopping at Rapid City, SD which is just south of your flight path in order to see Mt Rushmore or at least perform a flyby. Another option is a flyby of Devils Tower, WY which is almost on a straight line fron RAP to 8U8.

Crossing the Great Lakes isn't a problem as long as you can do it high enough to glide to either shore -- about 8K. I did it all the time. There are places with fewer forced landing areas (ie, WV comes to mind).

Have FUN!

Pat D

If you decide to go south of big lakes...or wx forces you, try KJOT! Cheap fuel AND crew car if you want it.

Crossing Minnesota, you might think of diverting a little left and stopping in Duluth - Sky Harbor is a neat little airfield that looks like an aircraft carrier sticking out into the water. Interesting small city, and Lake Superior is beautiful. If you don't want to go out of your way, it looks like you need to stop and visit Stein and Bob Collins - your route is directly overhead!

I've got hangar space at KSGS, since mine is down at KLVN.... sucking gas like a drunken sailor.

Where to Stop....

I try to take a week off each June and fly around with my wife... avoiding weather... did it twice in a twin comanche and just finished this week in an RV7..
Nashville TN - Kansas City - Lamar CO - North Platte NE - Rapid City SD - Salina KS (just for fuel) - Springdale AR - Nashville... 2169nm in 16.8 hours flight time... was quite windy... 104 degrees in Lamar and 18G31 landing at Salina (not a fun landing)...

However, to your question...

Monroe Wisconsin is the cheese capitol of the US... eat at Baumgartners... airport was tiny, but we hitchhiked into town (the only cab company takes Sundays off)...
Someone mentioned Rapid City SD... its cool... green, beautiful... neat old town and Mt Rushmore is a quick side trip... We also enjoyed Mitchell SD (Pheasant hunting region... I think SD is starkly beautiful)... Billings MT is a nice airport... Livingston MT and Red Lodge MT are both great. Madison WI has one of the most spectacular capitol buildings ever...

I have not yet crossed the Rockies though, so I can't provide advice in that regard, but sounds like you are going to have an awesome trip!

The russian has invaded.

I noticed Vlad had left NY yesterday, so have been thinking he may swing past Townsend. He made it to North Dakota last night after ~12 hrs in the saddle. This morning, I see he was pointed at 8u8. So as he got close, I made a blind radio call..."N666BK you out there?" "yes, I'll be in Townsend in 10 minutes."

photobucket-22634-1340467664609.jpg

I took him to the Pink Flamingo for breakfast burrito, showed him some baby antelope and then sent him on his way. He should be landing at Copalis Beach WA within an hour or so. Coast to Coast in about 36hrs.

GO you Crazy Russian!

Come on back if you need a RON.

Last edited:
looks like weather may keep him from reaching the Beach today. Big mess over the Cascades right now.

Awesome!!!

What an occasion that visit must have been. Maybe he could stop at Ephrata and eat at Wendy's (not the chain) on Division and Basin. I can recommend the beer battered cod.

Bob Axsom

Last edited:
What an occasion that visit must have been. Maybe he could stop at Ephrata and eat at Wendy's (not the chain) on Division and Basin. I can recommend the beer battered cod.

Bob Axsom

I think he is on a time schedule, Wendy might be a little slow for a quick turn.

Missoula

If you want to stop in Missoula (KMSO) on your way home, I can promise visits to four good microbreweries - and a place to bunk if you need it. Promoting good international relations and all that. Let's put the cold war behind us! I hear you like a good glass of barley water. I am 3 minutes from the airport.

Last edited:
Thanks Bryan. I am heading to Townsend. Hungry, tired and without oxygen :D
The trip was great thank you all for watching.

Still here

Youve got a few cb cells in your way, not too bad though. If you decide to stop short in mso give me a call. Hydro guy has my number.

Back