What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Rudder cable, ELT mount interference

Michael Burbidge

Well Known Member
I installed the ELT mount per instructions. The rudder cable goes underneath the mount. When the cable is taut, it just barely contacts the ELT mount. Did others encounter this? How did you deal with it?

I was wondering about installing a sheath around the cable, similar to the sheath where there cable penetrates the fuselage skin back near the tail. I would have to split the sheath material to install it on the cable. I don't know how easy it would be to split that material. Does anyone know exactly what material is used for sheath at the rear of the aircraft?

Alternatively I could install some of the grommet edging material that is used in lightening holes to protect wiring. That sounds easy. I don't know how durable that material is.

Thoughts?

Thanks,
Michael-

I have a 7A, but I think the fueslage is pretty much the same.

I encountered the same problem. I went to the hardware store and got some hard nylon clear tubing (I think its what they use for water lines).

Splitting it with a utility knife was a bit of a pain but doable. I safety wired each end to make sure it stayed put and it seems to have solved the problem.

Jason

How about changing the mounting of the ELT

There no such instructions on the RV-6A for anything like avionics installations so I mounted mine where it didn't interfere with anything. Operationally moving objects in contact should be avoided because whatever abrasion protection you install is eventually going to break down. Can't you come up with spacers or standoffs to eliminate the contact?

Bob Axsom

Top mount out 1.25"

I pushed out the top mount with some 1.25" strip stock which also let me get a blind rivet squeezer inside to rivet the bottom. Stock, they leaned outboard, my mod has them leaning slightly inboard. I used the right side for elt, left for strobe power supply. Rick 90423

Last edited:
I agree with cutting a half moon in the monting bracket to allow the cable to move freely past that area. Been working fine on my 9A.

Steve

Spacer Strip on Top Flange

I anticipated this problem before I installed the ELT and Strobe mounts, so I used a spacer strip on the top flange to move the mounts inboard at the top. Provided you can get a 6" drill in to remove the top pop rivets you can still use this solution on your airplane.

I disagree with the advice to dremel a half moon out of the vertical flanges. Doing this would eliminate the lateral strength/stiffness of the mount and with the ELT or Strobe weight in the middle of an unstiffened sheet, might result in cracking of the mount.

I am about to deal with this soon. I was thinking of riveting small pieces of angle inboard of where the half moon's need to be, then there is no question of it being an issue. That could be done after the fact with pop rivets too.

I anticipated this problem before I installed the ELT and Strobe mounts, so I used a spacer strip on the top flange to move the mounts inboard at the top. Provided you can get a 6" drill in to remove the top pop rivets you can still use this solution on your airplane.

I disagree with the advice to dremel a half moon out of the vertical flanges. Doing this would eliminate the lateral strength/stiffness of the mount and with the ELT or Strobe weight in the middle of an unstiffened sheet, might result in cracking of the mount.

Back