What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Airgizmo Antenna dock on RV-4

Rick RV-4

Well Known Member
Has anyone tried using the Airgizmo XM Weather dock on the back of your RV-4? I'm trying to figure out the best location for my GPS antennas, and I like the idea of mounting the antenna on the space behind the passenger's head.

The only problem is I don't know if the antenna "dock" can be trimmed to fir the curvature of the top skin the goes over the baggage compartment.

Any other suggestions?

Thx,

Rick

My buddy has one there......

....for an earlier 195. The antennae for the 496 are side by side under the top cowl on a bracket he fabbed and attached to the firewall. Reception is great even with silver paint.

Regards,

me too

Where did you find an XM cord long enough route back there?
D

Has anyone tried using the Airgizmo XM Weather dock on the back of your RV-4? I'm trying to figure out the best location for my GPS antennas, and I like the idea of mounting the antenna on the space behind the passenger's head.

The only problem is I don't know if the antenna "dock" can be trimmed to fir the curvature of the top skin the goes over the baggage compartment.

Any other suggestions?

Thx,

Rick

I move my 496 from plane to plane and also to my car. I just attached mine behind the back seat with velcro.

No need for the XM antenna air gizmo on an RV-4

I also balked at the prospect of using the XM weather dock work on the round fuselage.

I mounted my XM antenna on the top skin behind the passenger seat and underneath the rear part of the canopy. It's out of the wind and should stay dry. I sanded a curve into one side of a piece of plexiglass to match the curve.

I drilled a hole next to the antenna for the cord then routed it underneath the longeron to the instrument panel. I used the Garmin XM extension cord: https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?pID=1237

I'll try to get some pictures next time I'm out at the hangar if you like.

Here's the pic

00002_smaller.jpg

Back