What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

How to tighten AN3 nuts on inboard and outboard aileron bracket assemblies?

Any ideas on how to tighten subject nuts? These are the bolts/nuts that hold the brackets onto the ailerons. I can get a wrench on the nut but it's very difficult to keep the bolt head from turning since it's recessed down in the brackets and you can't get a socket on it (at least not the fat sockets I've got). And forget trying to get a torque wrench on any of this.

Would using a MS21042 nut help?

ms21042.jpg

Grinder?

Its been a long time but i ground down a several sockets early in the build for this reason. Clearance issues in several places make standard sockets unusable. Buy some extra 3/8ths and 7/16s and grind the holding portion to fit into the recess. U may want to buy some extra wrenches also to have them ready for modification, if needed.

Keith

I recall putting a box wrench straight into the bracket with the bolt head, 90 degrees to normal usage, and letting it rotate until it hit the sides of the bracket. It took a bit of pressure at that point towards the bolt while tightening the nut to get it done. You can also go to Home Depot and buy cheap sockets individually, then grind down the sides to make it fit...a bit more work.

As far a torque goes, calibrate your hand with a torque wrench somewhere else by holding it the same distance as the length of the wrench you will use. These won't be the last nuts that you can't use a torque wrench on. It is even more fun re-tightening these during annual once they are installed on the plane!

Gil's suggestion would work too, but you would have to install the bolts backwards and will likely hit the aileron bracket, especially the lower one.... Those nuts come in handy at times, or should I say critical!

Last edited:
Thin wall sockets

Go to the thrift store.
Buy cheapo wrenches and sockets. Usually $.50 cents or less.
Grind and cut them to the shapes needed for the job.
They will hold for the small torque range on AN3 & 4.
I've got all sorts. Split, thin side, etc.

For torquing

For torquing those nuts, you will need to "macgyver" a type of wrench like everyone suggests or find a type of extension adapter and then adjust the torque values accordingly. The Standard Aircraft Handbook has the formulas and info needed for these extensions.

If you know someone who welds he can make you some awesome tools if he can weld a socket to an open ended wrench. Have him make me one too!!!
:D:D:D

http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=96358&highlight=torque+extension

Last edited:
Back