What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Spinner - glass or aluminum?

SgtZim

Well Known Member
Hi all.

Wondering if you are satisfied with the Van's fiberglass spinner or is it worth the money to upgrade to an aluminum spinner?

Have you had any balance issues with either type?

Thanks!

WW makes a real nice fiberglass one that comes with their GA prop. Although it is a bit pricy if you buy it separately.

Hey Bruce, I deliberated a long time on the same question ,,but since you're going with the Sensenich prop you would make your life easier (fitting up your cowl , trueing it etc) and order one from them, when I did it it wasn't a huge premium to upgrade if you deleted the glass one from your finish kit

Cutting and fitting the fiberglass spinner isn't that big a deal.

I mounted a dial indicator to a stepladder to make sure the spinner was straight.

After watching an acquaintance replace 2 or 3 cracked aluminum spinners on a certified a/c, and knowing about my neighbor losing one (and then the prop) on a homebuilt, I don't want to be anywhere near one.

I like aluminum a/c, but some things are just better in plastic.

Thanks!

Thanks for your advice everyone. I think I'll try the Van's spinner after all - gives me a little more gas money to use when I get it done. :D

Back