What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Cape Challenge (RV-7) is underway

So far so good on this exciting venture! I'm hoping to be able to welcome Steve back to the UK on Friday afternoon after breaking the record (UK-Capetown-UK) that has stood since 1939. You can go straight to the tracking site on www.followsteve.co.za
Tom Storey
RV9 G-CDXT

Just entered Niger airspace

About 13hrs in and Steve has just crossed the border from Algeria into Niger at 9,600ft doing 160kt.
Amazing to think he's doing this in essentially the same plane that's in my garage. So glad I'm building a -7.

Into Cameroon

22:31z. About 17hr 50mins in.
Just left Nigeria behind and entered Cameroon. 6 deg 41' north of the equator
176kt GS at 13,300ft in the African night

Just entered Namibia

10:06z 1st Sep. About 29hr 45 min in.
Just crossed over the border from Angola into Namibia. 17 deg 34' south of the equator
164kt GS at 10,100ft

Last edited:
Cool stuff... does anyone know what kind of extra fuel capacity he has? I've looked at his site and blog and see a big tank in the right seat, but no fuel capacities listed. Just curious about what kind of endurance he has there. Ya think he brought along a pee bottle?? ;)

He was expecting 5 drums of fuel

....in Tamaransset, Algeria!! Even not quite full, that'd be 250 gallons:eek: or 25 hours of endurance, or 1500# of fuel, which I don't believe a -7 could lift.

Something's not quite right but he flew 10 hours or so, on the first leg.

The airplane was built specifically for this challenge, so I'd imagine a Gosport tube was built in as well.

Best,

....in Tamaransset, Algeria!! Even not quite full, that'd be 250 gallons:eek: or 25 hours of endurance, or 1500# of fuel, which I don't believe a -7 could lift.

Something's not quite right but he flew 10 hours or so, on the first leg.

The airplane was built specifically for this challenge, so I'd imagine a Gosport tube was built in as well.

Best,

He probably expects to take 125 gallons for EACH stop there (1 up and 1 down).

Arrived in Cape Town - half way there!

Excellent feat! 6,000 miles in 35 hours in an RV7. He's already been the equivalent of New York to San Francisco and back and now he's going to turn round and complete the journey back to London.

Steve has been working to beat the 'Henshaw Challenge' for 10 years of flying from London to Cape Town and back quicker than Alex Hensaw did it it the Percival Mew Gull in 1939 and so far its looking good.
Tom
RV9 G-CDXT

Looks like the extra fuel tank capacity is 500 litres.

"we have had to fit the long range tank system in the fuselage which leaves little space for anything but the pilot and 500 litres of fuel"
source: http://capechallenge.wordpress.com/category/g-iixf/page/2/

Tom,
Saw your name mentioned on that page too, as the restorer of the original Mew Gull G-AEXF back in 1978.
Very well done indeed!!

My mistake...

...should have been 'relief' tube:)

500 liters=132 gallons, so at 10GPH, he'll have over 13 hours endurance and the airplane will be close to 2000# gross.

Thanks,.

Last edited:
I believe the main ferry tank Steve is using is the same one Manuel Quieroz used to fly round the world in 2006 in G-GDRV - it occupies the passenger seat space.

The two aircraft normally live in the same hangar at EGBJ (Gloucester, UK).

Good luck on the return leg Steve!

Back