What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

How many of you guys have Tempur-foam seat bottoms?

pierre smith

Well Known Member

My -10 has a really nice Flightlines interior but after sitting for near two hours, My rear is in pain. It has one color foam, not the three varying hardnesses.

Opinions?

Thanks,

Oregon Aero

My interior was done by Abby but the foam is all Oregon Aero. Everyone who rides in mine remarks on how comfortable they are. I have no padding in my butt, but my time in the air is limited by my old man's bladder, not my skinny butt. Worth every penny. And yes, they are heavier, too.

Tempur Foam Seats

Pierre,
I made my -4's seats using the three layers of temperfoam. They aren't bad in the summer but in the winter they get very hard. Like sitting on a wooden chair until they warm up some. However, after my 2 hour flight to the Outer Banks last week I was ready to get out and put my weight on my feet instead of my butt.

Alan

The foam for the front seats comes in the finish kit from Van's, so must of us should have the same foam for the front. I believe it's OEM from Oregon Aero. What I don't understand is why they don't include the rear foam. It seems to me that is would be best to include both sets of foam or none.

We have always had Tempur-Foam in our seats. And Yes, it is well worth the extra cost and weight.
It DOES settle some after 8-10 years. We found that even though it was still comfortable, we had trouble seeing over the panel. We eventually had Becki Orndorff make us a new set of cushions.

My -10 has a really nice Flightlines interior but after sitting for near two hours, My rear is in pain. It has one color foam, not the three varying hardnesses.

Opinions?

Thanks,

Just one man's opinion, but it sound to me like you are nearing my age! :p
It doesn't matter what I sit on, it hurts....... :rolleyes:

never had an uncomfortable bottom in 12 yrs fly my 6. get the foam. get the foam.

I'll bite Pete.

Just one man's opinion, but it sound to me like you are nearing my age! :p
It doesn't matter what I sit on, it hurts....... :rolleyes:

I,m almost 66 and I keep my weight around 180# at 6', so it seems that my behind ought to be good for at least the fuel range.

Abby just called and said that I need to talk to Oregon Aero, so that's the plan....3 layer Tempurfoam,

Best,

Redid my cushions last year to the hard grade temper foam. I'm told there are three levels of hardness and my guy was out of the medium firmness one so opted for the hardest. Like sitting on a rock in winter but after a few moments of butt warming they mold beautifully. In the heat they are also extremely comfortable. I'll always use temper foam from now on...big more comfortable difference.

My interior was done by Abby but the foam is all Oregon Aero.

The RV-8 in my avatar is exactly the same... Oregon's 3-layer foam cushions, with Abby's upholstery. I've flown as much as 6 hours in one day without being sore from the seats.

If you happen to get to Scappoose OR, go visit Oregon Aero and get the tour. There is a lot more going on with their system than just three layers of foam.
I invested in them. While expensive, they are well worth it in my opinion.

From the beginning I never considered anything other than Temperfoam (we have a Tempur-Pedic matress at home which is made of the same stuff). My seats were made 5 years ago from Oregon Aero and I can sit in the seat for as long as I need with no problems at all, and passengers really like the comfort. The Temperfoam weighs more and costs more than ordinary foam, however the penalty is worth the cost and the weight.

I recommend Temperfoam without reservations!!

Good luck.

Victor

Another approach you may want to consider is the Airhawk cushion (http://www.therohostore.com/Products/AIRHAWK-Aviation-Seating-System__AHPLANESTD.aspx), which is made by the ROHO company.
ZoomImage.aspx

I sit on a ROHO for about 16 hours a day. Believe me, I know about butt pain! These products are *great*. They aren't perfect, but in my experience as a wheelchair user for the past 19 years nothing compares to the pressure relief of the ROHO/Airhawk products. I even use one on my ATV! Tempur foam is good stuff, but the Airhawk weighs less and feels the same in all temperatures. The only annoying things are that it does "inflate" as you ascend in altitude, and it can fail (get a hole and deflate). Your foam isn't ever going to do that ;)

--Lylah

In the RV-6 I have Cleaveland seats, which are white foam with a top layer of blue temperfoam on the seat cushion. Very comfortable.

On my rocket I made the seats myself, using all three grades of temperfoam. They're also comfortable but heavy. If I had to do them over I would definitely go the Cleaveland route, since its the best of both worlds.

Well, I spoke with Dave at Oregon Aero

He was surprised to hear a complaint! They do use Temperfoam and cover it with another foam, so I suppose it's just me.

Oh well,

HI Tech temper foam

I do not mean to hi-jack this string and if I am not proceeding correctly I know someone will "correct" my mis-direction but, I do have a complete set of seat bottom and seat back confor foam from Hi Tech foam that I am looking to sell. The seat has the three densities and the back two. $300.00 if anyone is interested.....I purchased a year ago after SNF.

He was surprised to hear a complaint! They do use Temperfoam and cover it with another foam, so I suppose it's just me.

Wait, I'm confused...... Flightlines uses "Temperfoam and covers it with another foam"? Does OregonAero use 3 layers of Temperfoam?

Also, sorry for the dumb question, but who is Abby?

Is there an advantage to get the cusions from Oregon Aero and have Abby cover them (since I believe Oregon offers seat covering services)?

Oh well,

I would go to the Oregon Aero web site and read about the other things they do with their seat design. I can tell you that my seats have more than three types or layers of foam but that is just part of what they do. I don't think just buying the cores get's you all the features but I could be mistaken.
Yes, you will pay twice as much as others that claim to use the same materials, but the materials are just part of the story.
Talk with Dennis if you call them.

Abby is "Flightlines,"

Wait, I'm confused...... Flightlines uses "Temperfoam and covers it with another foam"? Does OregonAero use 3 layers of Temperfoam?

Also, sorry for the dumb question, but who is Abby?

Is there an advantage to get the cusions from Oregon Aero and have Abby cover them (since I believe Oregon offers seat covering services)?

OregonAero provides the seat foams and Abby provides the covers and interiors. She's the go-to gal as far as designing your interior......questions and so on.

Best,

Pierre

I put Classic Aero's Full Leather Aviator Package in my 7. Would not change a thing. I have made several 2-3 hr flights with my backside not any worse for wear. Everybody that has flown with me loves my Interior looks and comfort. Worth the weight and cost.

I have the Classic Aero seats and after 11.2 flight hours in one day, I was still really comfortable. Wouldn't change a thing and I'm glad I invested in the high quality foam.

I have the Van's seat coushions that I had covered locally and they seem to work fine.

After talking to Ron "Iron butt" Schreck, I found he used the Van's cushions when he landed at all 109 NC Public Airports in One Day. You can't get a better recommendation than that.

Back