What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Bendix Magnetos

JimWoo50

Well Known Member
I have a pair of old sln4-21 mags that came with my engine. They are in need of some serious tlc. Should I look into rebuilding them or sell them toward a Slick being that I already have a 4373 and the harness. Also, I am looking for a new carb. I see aero in stock has a line of carbs by an outfit called Tempest for a reasonable (? for us anyways), price. Are these carbs functionally identical to the Marvel Schebler core I have?

I have a pair of old sln4-21 mags that came with my engine. They are in need of some serious tlc. Should I look into rebuilding them or sell them toward a Slick being that I already have a 4373 and the harness. Also, I am looking for a new carb. I see aero in stock has a line of carbs by an outfit called Tempest for a reasonable (? for us anyways), price. Are these carbs functionally identical to the Marvel Schebler core I have?

Jim,

I would never fly behind those old mags! You really need to install a pair of P-mags. (Sorry, I've been waiting to say that for two years now.)

Seriously, you should look at something like the P-mags now that they have resolved their problems. About the same price as a mag but better, much better.

MS is long out of business, Tempest took over and renamed the product. Same thing. In fact, I think even Tempest is gone and another outfit now builds them under yeat a different name.

How tight is money

I bought a pair of bendix mags with the harness's and had them rebuilt saving myself a ton of money. I like that the bendix mags are cheaper to repair if you need to buy certain parts. Seems to me that Slick mags while a good product are more a run them till they **** out and buy new ones. But if I had the cash, I would have gone electronic. I think you will be happy with any of those products.

Randy

I have to agree with Randy. If money is a consideration (as it was for me) use the Bendix mags. If money is no problem I would go with the E-mag and P-mag. I got two old Bendix mags that I rebuilt myself for my -4 and they are going strong. I replaced just about everything inside them except the rotor as parts were easy to find. Saved a bunch of cash that I am now converting to avgas.

Alan

... I got two old Bendix mags that I rebuilt myself for my -4 and they are going strong...Alan

..."strong" being a relative term...

Before anyone considers puting a dime into mags, they should really weigh the benefits of going electronic. A rebuilt magneto may work, but it is money down the tubes that could have gone towards a P-mag. If you are considering replacing mags outright, then the decision to upgrade to P-mags is a no brainer, IMHO.

There are benefits to both

But in my mind it all comes down to money. If you want P or E mags and do't have the money, wait till you do. If you want to fly but can't afford much, rebuild the bendix. No wrong choice, just what is going to make you happy. Good luck.

Randy

Back