What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Adding oil filter

Dennis Madden

RV-4 gods,
I'm going to add an oil filter to my O-320 E2D powered RV-4. I'd like to do an engine mounted versus a remote. Any good deals on them out there? What should I pay? Also, will it need a spacer? If so, how much of a spacer? I have the vacuum pump still on the motor as well, so it's crowded back there. I don't know "what I don't know". Any info gratefully accepted.
Thanks,
DM

Dennis,
For what its worth, I bought the Mattituck filter with spacer and have it on my 0-320 equiped RV-4. It fits well. Haven't run it yet but that will be happening soon. It seems to be a good deal and as a bonus you can always contact Mahlon for advice if you run into any issues.

Alan
RV-4 N7028K

RV-4 gods,
I'm going to add an oil filter to my O-320 E2D powered RV-4. I'd like to do an engine mounted versus a remote. Any good deals on them out there? What should I pay? Also, will it need a spacer? If so, how much of a spacer? I have the vacuum pump still on the motor as well, so it's crowded back there. I don't know "what I don't know". Any info gratefully accepted.
Thanks,
DM

Dennis, I added the oil filter adapter from Niagara Air Parts to my E2D when I rebuilt it:

http://www.niagaraairparts.com

overhaul-17.jpg

Scroll about 2/3 down the page to find the adapter. It fit perfectly and has worked flawlessly for 700 hours. It accepts the very common 48110 filter. I much prefer this setup to having a remote with the necessary hoses and fittings.

Spacer Required?

I too would like to add a spin on filter in lieu of my standard screen on my O320-B3B. Will a spacer be required, I have a vacuum pump? Also, will the vernatherm (temp valve) currently in the standard screen arrangement transfer over to a straight spin on setup. What gaskets are required? Thanks for any help.

Back