What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Firewall penetrations

szicree

Well Known Member
Would love to see some photos of how folks routed their throttle and mixture cables on their 4's. Thanks.

Last edited:
-4 Firewall secrets

Steve - I was hoping you would get lots of replies to that, since although I am not that far along I was sitting contemplating that issue last week.

I do have two pictures of -4 firewalls which I can send directly to you if you let me have your email addr.. I dont feel I can post them on general release because they are not mine. They show completely different approaches from each other.

If you have any to send back, I would be very pleased to see what you have found out. My email is [email protected]

I bought one control cable from VANS so I would have something to 'play' with while I was trying to work out length etc. Do you / anyone know if there are more flexible cables than those supplied by VANS. The routings require quite a few contortions!

Thanks

-4 Firewall

Steve,
I'll try and get some pictures of my set up. I've just finished this part and am just a step ahead of you. My Vans throttle and mixture cables come horizontally from the levers, straight through the firewall on the left side. They make a big S down to the stock Vans cable mount. My gascolator is right of center, low on the firewall and one of these cables passes within an inch of it. The cables bend a lot but they work very well. I'm running out of firewall real estate but fortunately I only have the battery left to position and mount. This will go in the well that they say to add to the firewall for the CS pump.

Alan
RV-4

Steve and Alan, thanks for the lead and the promise of pictures. I will be particularly interested in your pictures, Alan, because it sounds like you are keeping the control cables well away from the area between your feet. I want to use this like Smokey does for luggage and adjusting CofG. I dont fancy have cables in there mixing with luggage.

I was also hoping someone would come forward with an implementation through the cowl cheek. At least for the C/s prop cable I think I will have to go that route.

Anyone else with pictures?

Thanks,

Alan, that is realy helpful, thanks.

It looks like it gets pretty crowded in there! You look to be pretty far along.

One other question, today I briefly looked at the fuel pump to carb fuel hose. Did you have problems keeping it away from the engine mount?

With the right angle fitting VANS supplied with the port for the fuel pressure takeoff it looks pretty hard to make it work.

Steve,
I missed your post about the fuel line. I don't recall there being any issue with the fuel line getting too close to the engine mount. I'll take a look as soon as I get the cowl off again and try to get you a better picture. That may not be until this weekend.

Alan

Back