What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Baggage Door Hinge Pin

William Slaughter

Well Known Member
Feeling pretty dumb right now, since at least 1,324 people have already figured this out, but:

How do you get the hinge pin in (and out), since at least part of the bore of the hinge eyelets is above the surface of the skin? :eek:

Last edited:
OK.

Feeling pretty dumb rigth now, since at leat 1,324 people have already figured this out, but:

How do you get the hinge pin in (and out), since at least part of the bore of the hinge eyelets is above the surface of the skin? :eek:

There are a couple three ways you can do this. What we did was very simple and made the door quick remove. At the front end of the hinge we made a small slit, forward, maybe no more than 3/8". Then we made the pin with a 90* bend on that end, some 2-3" long. We can put the door up in place, standing up. Slide the pin in tell it bottoms out then tuck the 90* end under the hatch lip. We have taken this door on and off many times, only takes 5-10 seconds. You may wish to do it another way, but we found this is good for loading and working inside the front bay with the door quick off.
Hope this helps. Yours, R.E.A. III #80888

Pin??

Robert, do you have a pic of your pin install? I'm at this same point in my build and have been wondering what to to with securing the pin. Thanks,

Steve

Robert, do you have a pic of your pin install? I'm at this same point in my build and have been wondering what to to with securing the pin. Thanks,

Steve

Same here! Please...pictures and from anyone else who has done something similar.

Sorry.

Sorry, guys I don't have any pictures of this. It was not thought to be that big a deal to us at the time. If you look at the forward end of that hinge you will see that the firewall is so close to that spot you really don't do need to hold that end down with anything, if you put a nice big 90* end on the pin and just tuck it under the lip so it will rest close to the firewall in order to keep it from sliding out forward. If you cut the slit going forward only enough to let the pin slide into the loops from the front and then taper that lip a little with a small file just enough to let you pull the 90* end back and under that spot. The pin can not get back out once the door is closed. Once you open the door, you just reach down with you thumb and pull the 90* end back and up, then while puling forward wiggle the pin and it comes right out going forward. Yours, R.E.A. III #80888

Hi folks,

Having trouble visualizing the above. So sorry that I can’t ask Robert, always respected his thoughts.

Anyone try splitting the hinge pin into two and insert from the center ala flaps? Think that’s a structural problem with retaining the door?

I’d rather not put a hole in the firewall and going aft means remove the panel, etc. to get the pin out.

I can’t see how I can go out the front top without cutting off a segment or most of one, and/or slitting or dinging the skin, ugh.

thanks! dave

Last edited:
Hole in the firewall relieved right up to the bottom of the skin with a file. Lube the pin and cram it in. There is enough cumulative deflection for it to go in. I made a small SS cover plate for the hole in the firewall, secured with two screws.

Hi folks,

Having trouble visualizing the above. So sorry that I can?t ask Robert, always respected his thoughts.

Anyone try splitting the hinge pin into two and insert from the center ala flaps? Think that?s a structural problem with retaining the door?

I?d rather not put a hole in the firewall and going aft means remove the panel, etc. to get the pin out.

I can?t see how I can go out the front top without cutting off a segment or most of one, and/or slitting or dinging the skin, ugh.

thanks! dave

I think this is a pretty good idea, actually.

I have a slot in the bulkhead aft of the door, and I think it is true that the panel would have to come off to get the pin out. Maybe not.

another simple way

Here's how I did it. http://www.rv8.ch/baggage-door-hinge-pin/

img_5347-e1547067453531-1024x1024.jpg

img_5349-1024x1024.jpg

Back