What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

towbar\gust lock combo - will this fit for rv8a?

tectweaker

Well Known Member
I am looking for a towbar, gust lock combo and was curious if this will fit a rv8a?

Are the bolts similar? I don't have access to a rv12 towbar so could not tell.

Alternatively; if somebody at livermore, ca has a rv12 with this towbar - i would love to try.

I already have a towbar and actually wanted to save a little bit of space by having something that is a combo.

http://www.vansaircraft.com/cgi-bin...833-134-48&browse=airframe&product=12-tow_bar

I have a Bogart tow bar, slightly modified to lock all three axes in a -10. (Not my idea, I copied it). I'm at LVK, south side, if you want to borrow it to see if it fits an -8 (I suspect it will).

I have a Bogart tow bar, slightly modified to lock all three axes in a -10. (Not my idea, I copied it). I'm at LVK, south side, if you want to borrow it to see if it fits an -8 (I suspect it will).

I think I know who you copied that from. :)

could you post a picture or plans of it if possible?

I am looking for a towbar, gust lock combo and was curious if this will fit a rv8a?

Are the bolts similar? I don't have access to a rv12 towbar so could not tell.

Alternatively; if somebody at livermore, ca has a rv12 with this towbar - i would love to try.

I already have a towbar and actually wanted to save a little bit of space by having something that is a combo.

http://www.vansaircraft.com/cgi-bin...833-134-48&browse=airframe&product=12-tow_bar

The pin size that the tow bar engages to is the same size and you might be able to adapt it to work, but I wouldn't recommend it.
The tow bar is made out of light weight aluminum tubing which works great for the RV-12's light weight but it might not hold up very well with airplanes weighing half again as much (or more). If you were cautious about using it only for steering control and not much for pulling, it might do ok.

Back