What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

SkyTec starter failure

gator

My SkyTec starter on a Lycoming IO-360-M1B was just over 2 years old (always over when there is a 2 year warranty of course) with around 300 hours on the tach. Was in the process of starting one morning and got a kick back, tried to start again and heard an obvious bad new noise, took her back in the hangar and dropped the cowling. Out fell a chund of the starter housing, in fact, the whole front end that supports the bendix gear.
Has this happened to anyone else? Is it a nomal reaction to a kickback?

Exact same thing happened to me, only mine was still under warranty and they send a replacement very quick. As I understand it, they have replaced/reinforced the front portion and now it is supposed to be much more resilient. Over 200 hours on my replacement part and no issues so far. They are very good and easy to work with.

It's not necessarily an either/or. When it happened to me, the next attempt to start, like the OP's, resulted in a nasty noise. On inspection, since the housing was gone, the starter gear was free to oscillate, turning into a rather inefficient grinder. My ring gear was chewed in the area of the starter, though not so bad that a temporary replacement starter was unable to get me in the air and back home. The other great news was that not only was SkyTec's support great but so was Superior; they took my old ring gear and sent me a new one, with the magnets for my LSE ignition crank sensor in the right location. I've been alright since then with the replaced starter, but if it happens again I'll probably switch to the NL.

Would you rather have the starter break or the ring gear break on a kickback?

The NL has a shear pin in the drive train and two spare pins are siliconed to the base. The starter spins much faster so that will drastically reduce the chances of a kickback.

I had a kick back also.

Mine kicked back two times since I have been flying it. Both times it fired exactly when I released the key and the right mag was energized. It kicked back and turned the starter backwards. My starter was damaged though it still worked. It was making noise when cranking and Sky-Tec told me the case was damaged. I just replaced it with a "new rebuilt" from Sky-Tec. Great people, they took care of me. Anyway I've put a seperate toggle for the right mag to turn it off for starting. Even though the key switch has this built in. Then once started I'll turn the right mag back on. I'm hoping this will prevent kick backs in the future.

Me too

My SkyTec starter on a Lycoming IO-360-M1B was just over 2 years old (always over when there is a 2 year warranty of course) with around 300 hours on the tach. Was in the process of starting one morning and got a kick back, tried to start again and heard an obvious bad new noise, took her back in the hangar and dropped the cowling. Out fell a chund of the starter housing, in fact, the whole front end that supports the bendix gear.
Has this happened to anyone else? Is it a nomal reaction to a kickback?

Exact same thing happened to me - front housing went south. IIRC kick backs were not warrantied, but, I could be very wrong. Get the bigger better NL starter.

Sky-Tec NL

Just had the same problem with my starter. I'd like to upgrade to the NL, but the Sky-Tec rep wasn't sure if it would fit with the snorkle induction. Is there anyone out there that has put an NL in a -7A with snorkle?

Carl, I am having similar problems with my 7A with LASAR ignition and 9:5 to 1 compression pistons. What battery are you running? I just ordered an X-Drive starter from Aircraft Spruce tonight after reading your post since I have gone through 2 Sky Tec starters and not too impressed with them. I need better reliability.

The SkyTec light weight starters are permanent magnet starters with a high current draw during initial cranking. I have the LASAR electronic ignition system on my RV-8 and the SkyTec light weight starter would draw down the voltage below what was needed for it to operate, making it more difficult to start. The workaround I came up with was to pull the LASAR electronic ignition system circuit breaker for the first few blades when starting, the voltage would come back up, and then I'd push in the CB for the LASAR system, allowing it to come on line for the start.

I got tired of that routine and replaced the starter with a new Hartzell starter (X-Drive). This starter was billed to have a lower current draw during initial engagement. Apparently, Hartzell bought the Kelly line of starters last year. I'm quite pleased with the new starter. I have high compression pistons (10:1) and it spins the engine quite easily, and the LASAR system stays operating during the start. I'm quite pleased with the Hartzell starter and it fits with the snorkel.

http://www.hartzellenginetech.com/aircraft-parts/aircraft-starter.html

I still have the SkyTec light weight starter (it has the newer thicker flange), if someone wants to make me an offer. It has 1000 hours on it, and was working fine when it was removed.

NL 49

Is it a NL 49? If so what do you have to have for it, I may buy it as a spare to sit on the shelf.

Starter

Gator,

I started with the lightweight starter on my AEIO-360 with a C/S Prop and it worked for less than 100 hours before it ate itself but Skytec is an honorable company and sent me a replacement. Unfortunately it happened 2 more times so after THREE starters I took some advice from some of my smart friends and upgraded to the 49 NL high torque starter a couple years ago and have not had a lick of trouble since.

The old starter always struggled trying to get the motor going. The new high torque starter turns over the motor so quick that I'm running in about 2-3 blade turns. Been passing this info around and a couple other guys with the same symptoms solved all their starter problems with the NL high torque model.

Initially I think the lightweight starter was great for an O-320 and a fixed pitch prop but we all seem to be gravitating to bigger engines and C/S props so those little starters just won't do anymore.

Oly

The NL has a shear pin in the drive train and two spare pins are siliconed to the base. The starter spins much faster so that will drastically reduce the chances of a kickback.

The NL starter actually spins a little slower than my present LS(if one can provide the same voltage to them). See Skytec starter specs. My LS draws approx 430 Amps starting the 540 with a slick start and no problems. I have an NL on standby if needed.

149NL

Although I had lots of time on my LS when I did have a problem it was significant. The housing cracked badly. I bought a refurbed one and installed. I was going to Grandbury to look at property and stopped by Sky-Tec. They were great and fixed it on the spot for a reasonable amount.

From that point on I always carried a spare starter when on long CC trips. The starter is the one of the things that will strand you.

My neighbor recently had a problem with his LS starter. It didn't engage all the way and chewed up the ring gear requiring replacement. He decided to go with the NL version. He said the starter seems to crank with greater authority.

For my new plane with a 390 I'm going with the NL. The NL only weighs 1.6lbs more than the LS but is significantly beefier. Trying to save 1.6 lbs on something so important just doesn't make sense.

The Sky-Tec support is great!!!

Did (or does) Sky Tec offer a buyback/upgrade program for some of these starters? Thought I read that somewhere...

My Rocket has a factory installed Sky Tec on it with just shy of 100 hours and it doesnt seem to be able to spin the engine like it should.

Did (or does) Sky Tec offer a buyback/upgrade program for some of these starters? Thought I read that somewhere...

My Rocket has a factory installed Sky Tec on it with just shy of 100 hours and it doesn't seem to be able to spin the engine like it should.

They used to swap them out for free (if unused) if you got it through the Van's engine deal. I think I was one of the last folks to get in on that deal, which was over two years ago.

I don't know the details, but I believe that they are now charging a nominal fee. I suspect probably the cost difference.

Give them a call. They have been great to work with.

I'm with Darwin, for 1.6lbs, I'll take the kick back support every time. I've had absolutely no issues starting my RV-10 with the NL.

bob

Sky Tec NL

I sent back my starter to Sky Tec and they are going to warranty it since it's only been little over a year the last time I was stranded in SoCal and had to replace it. My high compression IO-360 with constant speed prop has eaten 2 of them now. I am going to trade it in and pay the different for the heavier duty NL. The problem is I have a trip planned next weekend to Oregon so I ordered a Lycoming X-Drive starter from Aircraft Spruce that arrived today that other people have said they have had great luck with and draws less current. This should assist my battery having LASAR ignition that draws a bit if current on start. I guess I will keep the new NL for a spare or sell it to try and make up a bit back of the $450 I had to spend on the X-Drive. Thanks so much for all the feedback. Hoping I don't keep having problems with starters with the change. Tired of getting stranded as it seems to only happen when I am away from my home airport.

X-Drive Starter

Installed the X-Drive starter today and it really seems to turn the prop well. Just hope it holds up for me.

Not a Group I hoped to join

Nice trip from south florida to X50 yesterday, Massey Air Ranch near spruce creek and New Smyrna Beach. Routine start to return home and busted starter. Just like you guys described, the front lower casting broke off from bolt hole to bolt hole and about 3 inches in. Mine was a 149-NL, got real lucky with a very friendly flight school, Jose at Aviation Pacific, had a brand new 149-NL on the shelf that he sold me as if I was shopping at Aircraft Spruce shopping.

Nice trip from south florida to X50 yesterday, Massey Air Ranch near spruce creek and New Smyrna Beach. Routine start to return home and busted starter. Just like you guys described, the front lower casting broke off from bolt hole to bolt hole and about 3 inches in. Mine was a 149-NL, got real lucky with a very friendly flight school, Jose at Aviation Pacific, had a brand new 149-NL on the shelf that he sold me as if I was shopping at Aircraft Spruce shopping.

I'm surprised to hear of a NL starter failing in this manner. Probably the first one I've ever heard of, out of all the posts on VAF.

This is the starter that has a shear pin that is supposed to prevent starter damage in the event of kick back.

http://www.skytecair.com/images/Ins/25001_F.pdf

NL

I had a 122/NL fail last July. Same type failure of front casting. Pin did not break.
Skytec replaced no charge. About 150 hours.

Good Response from Sky Tec

I got an encouraging note back from Rich at Sky Tec. Going to ship them my broke starter and even though 3 years old, in his words "where we just get damned generous" and see what they determine.

I'll double check the model number today.

SkyTec Rocks

What a learning experience. My first break down away from home. Great aviation people are everywhere.

Aviation Pacific on the Massey Airport (x50) and they just happened to have a brand new SkyTec 149-NL starter on the shelf that they sold me for the same price as Aircraft Spruce. Plus loaned me tools.

Yesterday the UPS truck delivered a new factory rebuild starter. Mine was out of the 2 year warrantee and SkyTec was way more than GENEROUS. Hope i never have to open the box.

Skytec LS Broken

My Skytec LS Starter failed today. The front casing broke off leaving the shaft without the support bearing. Ugly sound followed. No broken teeth.

10fdmj4.jpg

14bq2bl.jpg

Titan IO-360 with 9:1 pistons. About 690 hours TT. Since 2008. CS Hartzell BA prop. New Odyssey SBS J-16 Battery.

Considering alternatives.

1. B&C
2. Skytec NL

Last edited:

Thanks Carl. How much total time do you have on your Hartzell X Drive Starter?

Any regrets?

My Skytec LS Starter failed today. The front casing broke off leaving the shaft without the support bearing. Ugly sound followed. No broken teeth.

14bq2bl.jpg

10fdmj4.jpg

Titan IO-360 with 9:1 pistons. About 690 hours TT. Since 2008. CS Hartzell BA prop. New Odyssey SBS J-16 Battery.

1. B&C
2. Skytec NL
3. Hartzell X-Drive

Last edited:
Data point:

B and C starter here with 400 hours on it.

Upgraded from Skytec (yes, because it broke) almost two years ago and it is great!

My plane now has all B and C components right down to the contactors and relays.

Great stuff!

:cool: CJ

10fdmj4.jpg

14bq2bl.jpg

1. B&C
2. Skytec NL

Mine happened exactly the same way and with very little time on it (50-75). Skytech replaced it at no charged and said it was a known issue and now they have improved that area. The replacement started has worked without any issues and it has been around 550 since it was replaced.

CJ,

I see you have an TMX-IO-360 (Fuel Injected). Do you have the snorkle on yours like I do on mine (See pics)?

If so, did you have to make cuts/modifications to the snorkle to get the B&C to fit?

Data point:

B and C starter here with 400 hours on it.

Upgraded from Skytec (yes, because it broke) almost two years ago and it is great!

My plane now has all B and C components right down to the contactors and relays.

Great stuff!

:cool: CJ

Mehrdad,

Thanks for the data point. No charge is a darn good price. I will call them on Monday and see what they say.

Does your starter require a couple bumps to get the prop to get turning? The reason I say this is mine always seemed to need a bump to get going, even with a brand new battery.

Thanks,

Charlie

Mine happened exactly the same way and with very little time on it (50-75). Skytech replaced it at no charged and said it was a known issue and now they have improved that area. The replacement started has worked without any issues and it has been around 550 since it was replaced.

Carl,

Thank you! I re-scaled the pics.

Sky Supply USA has the Hartzell X-Drive SR29021 on sale for $437.80. The also indicate they have a $150.00 refundable core deposit. What I don't know is if that refundable core deposit would be good for my Skytec core.

I will be calling them on Monday to find out.

Thanks,

Charlie

I'd have to look up the time, but it's been awhile. I replaced a SkyTec LS with the Hartzell, and I have no regrets.

I have 10:1 high compression pistons in my parallel valve (I)O-360-A1A. I have a LASAR electronic ignition system and the SkyTec LS (a permanent magnet (PM) starter) would bring the voltage down below what the LASAR system needed and the LASAR would drop off line. The Hartzell X-Drive, also a PM starter, was advertised to have a lower inrush current, and that proved to be true. The LASAR system doesn't drop off line with the Hartzell X-Drive.

BTW, please think about scaling your photos. They are huge! ;)

Mehrdad,

Thanks for the data point. No charge is a darn good price. I will call them on Monday and see what they say.

Does your starter require a couple bumps to get the prop to get turning? The reason I say this is mine always seemed to need a bump to get going, even with a brand new battery.

Thanks,

Charlie
Hi Charlie,
No, I have never needed to bump mine and it always cranks fine. When it happen to me, they wanted to make sure it wasn't a kick back issue or my right Mag (without impulse coupler) wasn't firing. I keep my eye on it at every oil change and so far have not had any issues or needed any attention.

Back