What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Van's Global impact and missionaries...

pierre smith

Well Known Member
By a sheer stroke of fortune, Jenny and I met a gentleman on the flight line at Sun 'n Fun named Stephen Saint by his RV 10. His shirt was embroidered with "Saddleback Church" and I asked him if he was from San Diego where Saddleback church is located. He replied that he wasn't but began telling an incredibly moving story about who he was and how he got here today.

His father, Nate, was a missionary to Ecuador and he and four friends were muredered in 1956 by the Indians for reasons to be told later. Anyway, the years passed, recociliation was made and Stephen now runs an RV 10 buidling facility in Ecuador to teach the young folks marketable skills. They will build the RV to the quickbuild stage in compliance with the 51% rule and the owner goes down there for several weeks at a time to finish the airplane. As of last Thursday, a new -10 had been delivered and several more are under construction.....amazing where RV's are built....even in the jungles of Ecuador. I'll post a followup as I learn more. In the meantime, go here...
http://www.itecusa.org/

Regards,
Pierre

You can watch "Beyond the Gates of Splendor" (documentary), or "Tip of the Spear" (theater-release drama) for more information about Nate Saint and the other martyred missionaries. Also, "In the Shadow of the Almighty" is a biography written by the widow of one of the other missionaries, Jim Elliot.

Meetings

I saw the premier showing of "End of the Spear" at Atlanta about 1 1/2 years ago. I have missed meeting Steve four times by less than 5 minutes. For those who don't know, I do videos for missionaries. I expect to meet him sometime, and I really believe the only reason I haven't is that the timing isn't right.

BTW and a bit off topic, Lionel Smith of Christian Wings for the World (also a friend of Steven) trains missionary pilots. See www.christianwings.org. He has been going through very serious eye problems. You know what that means to a pilot. He is THE BEST pilot I have ever flown with and could use your prayers.

Bob Kelly

Impact of this event-Nate Saint

The impact of the Auca Indian murders and subsequent coming to Christ of the very men who speared them to death and now the life-long dedication of the wives and children whose dad's were killed to those very same tribal people is one of the greatest stories of modern times and was a huge event when it happened in the 50's. It was covered by magazines and news casts.

By the way-Nate Saint's inventive method of lowering gifts by rope from a circling airplane became the same principle used in modern warfare-the gunship. Instead of ropes and gifts, gunships send a steady stream of bullets to the same point on the ground.

These books and films are major inspirational events in my life.

One of the other men killed that day wrote my favorite quote: "He is no fool who gives that which he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot loose." Jim Elliot

Vern said:
One of the other men killed that day wrote my favorite quote: "He is no fool who gives that which he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot loose." Jim Elliot

Too true. Too true.

Awesome!

It is great to know that some of you guys know the story... I was born in Shell (the place where Nate Saint lived) In fact, I'm Ecuadorian and worked at the Mission Aviation Fellowship hangar there. MAF continues the aviation ministry outreach in Ecuador from Shell. That event back in 1956 triggered a huge missionary movement and I can say that my parents became Christians through that movement. It's amazing how small this world is and how big Its Creator... I haven't seen Steve in a few years, I hope to run into him sometime in the future.

That story has always been a huge inspiration to me and I am so envious you got to talk to Steve Saint. Thanks for sharing that with us!

I'm about half way through

tangocharlie said:
"Jungle Pilot" is the biography of Nate Saint. Good reading...

Tammy

The book...really good reading about the early days of MAF.

Speaking of the "wood bee", the yellow cub in the movie had the original N number of Nate's. A local guy here in oregon had the number on his airplane and gladly gave it up.

Frank 7a

Thanks, but....

OldAndBold said:
Funny how meetings like that just happen. Must be shear coincidence...

I would really rather call it "Providence" or something similar......could it have been so ordained? Methinks, "Yes."

One incredible incident after another.......the Pastor at our Men's breakfast just "happened" to be speaking on the lives of Nate Saint and Jim Elliott the day after Jenny and I met Stephen Saint at Sun 'n Fun! The web site of Jesse Saint, Stephen's son, is here. They will build your RV 10 to the QB stage and the funds directly benefit the Ecuadorians. The web site is still under construction but the contact info is here:

http://www.saintaviation.com/

Regards,

OldAndBold said:
Funny how meetings like that just happen. Must be shear coincidence...

I'll act surprised if you wish.

I believe otherwise.

Deus is latin for God

I'm Deuskid;

I'm one of His...

John

Small World

fmarino1976 said:
It is great to know that some of you guys know the story... I was born in Shell (the place where Nate Saint lived) In fact, I'm Ecuadorian and worked at the Mission Aviation Fellowship hangar there. MAF continues the aviation ministry outreach in Ecuador from Shell. That event back in 1956 triggered a huge missionary movement and I can say that my parents became Christians through that movement. It's amazing how small this world is and how big Its Creator... I haven't seen Steve in a few years, I hope to run into him sometime in the future.

Just curious when you worked at the MAF hangar in Shell. I grew up in Ecuador. My parents, Jim and Kathie Yost were missionaries there in the 70's and early 80's (my dad still does some work off and on in Ecuador) and my sister and brother-in-law, Nate and Rachelle Dell, were missionaries there for a few years as well (all with the Waorani). After seeing your post, I was just curious if we ever crossed paths! We spent a lot of time being flown around by MAF over the years.

Brandon Yost

rv10 for missionary work?

It seems like there is quite a few missionary minded rv'ers! So this seems like a good thread to ask a few questions.

What about the idea of an rv-10 for missionary flying? It can carry a decent load. It can get on and off the ground on a pretty short strip, at least as short as your best Cessna's, maybe doesn't have real sturdy gear, but they can be replaced relatively cheap if necessary. So what do you guys think?

And the second question is where is the need? Is there a strong need for pilots for MAF and other organizations? Latin Am, South Am., Africa, Asia???

I'm just curious because that is where my heart is, hoping that my next career is down this road.

ajay

skelrad said:
Just curious when you worked at the MAF hangar in Shell. I grew up in Ecuador. My parents, Jim and Kathie Yost were missionaries there in the 70's and early 80's (my dad still does some work off and on in Ecuador) and my sister and brother-in-law, Nate and Rachelle Dell, were missionaries there for a few years as well (all with the Waorani). After seeing your post, I was just curious if we ever crossed paths! We spent a lot of time being flown around by MAF over the years.

Brandon Yost

Great thread!

I think this is the best thread I have read yet on VAF! About ready to start building the wings for my RV-8. Already thinking about the name for it... I really like "Refiner's Fire".
The Saint Story and movie have been instermental in my life as well. What a powerful message "END OF THE SPEAR" conveys. How awsome is the life changing power of an encounter with the risen savior Jesus Christ!

This is a good thread. Someone correct me if I'm wrong but if I believe it was last year that Stephen Saint was at Osh Kosh and had one of the decendants of one of the people who had murderd his father with him. We had stopped by the MAF tent and one of the missionaries there told us that. It is a great film and I would recommend it if you haven't seen it.

Scott, count me in. ;-)

Steven at OSH

Steven was there--I just missed him. I have breakfast at the Mission Support tent at least once each year. It is right at the south east entrance outside the fence. GREAT group there! I will have my building video there this year, if they want to show it. I think getting together for a devotional would be a great idea. I would be willing to help out on that one.

Bob Kelly

Neat topic

ajay said:
It seems like there is quite a few missionary minded rv'ers! So this seems like a good thread to ask a few questions.

I'm just curious because that is where my heart is, hoping that my next career is down this road.

ajay

Mornin' men,
This is indeed a growing thread.........do we need a Missionary RV List?.... how 'bout it Doug?

Ajay,
My next career parallels yours (hopefully) and South America is a vast undernourished (Spiritually) country. Something like a Zenith 701 or the four place 801 is really more practical. A friend of mine has a new 701 which gets off in 90 feet! Almost every town in South America has a soccer field. When the 701 arrives with the Missionary or medical supplies, they circle the field and everyone runs to the sidelines and the airplane lands diagonally to miss the posts........ta daaaaa, every town has its own airport ;) The Rotax powered 701 also burns mogas.

I was told that there are over 400 701's flying but only 100 or so over here. The rest are doing missionary related work down South.

Regards,

Stephen Saint

A young A/P at my Church worked on the Saint 10 for Stephen. Our Church (First Baptist of Spartanburg, S.C.) has a youth center called the Hanger. We have a North American T28 hanging in the center. When I complete my RV6 this year I will logo my 6 with the Hanger logo. :)

SKELRAD

I worked there during the summers while I was in highschool and then from 1998 until I came to Moody Aviation in Elizabethton TN in 1999. I actually remember weighting you dad at the hangar once. He was going to visit your sister in the jungle and I was calculating the CG. (I was a helper and mechanic trainee back then) We talked for a few minutes... WOW.

JAARS Day-May 5-Waxhaw, NC

Saturday JAARS Day Event
10:00 a.m. - 3:30 p.m.
http://www.jaars.com/visit.shtml

JAARS stands for Jungle Aviation and Radio Service. It is the technical arm of Wycliffe Bible translators and is similar to MAF. They cooperate but often serve different fields.

This is very interesting if you like aviation at all. JAARS center is much like a small military base in that it has hangers, shops, radios, computers, machine shops, trucking,museums, ethnology,helicopter and Helio Courier rides,etc.
As a Saturday event. I like to fly youth up from Atlanta in my RV for the tour.The kids love it!

Waxhaw is South of Charlotte. They have a gas pump but only take cash.
See you there?

Because reviving 10 year old threads is fun...

I just thought I'd say that I've been here in Ecuador since the beginning of February. This is my third trip since the first last June. I thought it was going to be a one time "mission-cation" with Compassion international and my church--it has become so much more, including my (wife and I) own non-profit.

Our mission at this point is to support the church our church in Colorado planted, along with two satellites we have partnered with another Colorado church and helped to start. There are certainly gaps in a couple of otherwise great large organizations, so my wife and I are trying to fill those--namely the same challenge we see at home amplified by poverty: keeping kids on the right path through their adolescent and teen years.

I did not know the story of Nate Saint (by name) until I came here the second time last year. By providence, I met another guy like me--law enforcement , pilot, and now working a children's mission in the jungle...he told me the story with names...I still didn't connect the family name with Jesse and Saint aviation until recently...I guess I'm a slow learner.

Regardless, as my area of exploration expands beyond this tiny little town in th Bolívar province, I'd love to see some semblance of GA here, but that doesn't seem to exist...

Back to journal th day's events. Blessings all from wet and soggy Ecuador !

Last edited:
There is not much private GA, but there is a lot of small single engine aviation. If you get a chance to make it to Shell, between Puyo and Ba?os, in the Pastaza province, the main road runs along the airstrip, which is lines with small single engine planes serving the eastern jungle. Right about in the middle of the airstrip you will see AeroFOR/I-TEC Ecuador, which is the shop where an RV-10 builder assistance shop is located.

Well , poo! I spent a couple weeks in Ba?os studying Spanish.::I woulda made the trip, but I wasn't sure where that was based out of... next time!

I just thought I'd say that I've been here in Ecuador since the beginning of February. This is my third trip since the first last June. I thought it was going to be a one time "mission-cation" with Compassion international and my church--it has become so much more, including my (wife and I) own non-profit...
I did not know the story of Nate Saint (by name) until I came here the second time last year. By providence, I met another guy like me--law enforcement , pilot, and now working a children's mission in the jungle...he told me the story with names...I still didn't connect the family name with Jesse and Saint aviation until recently...I guess I'm a slow learner.

My two favorite organizations to support... Mission Aviation Fellowship (MAF.org) and Compassion International (Compassion.com).

By the way, a new youth flight training group just started in DFW (KGPM) to train youth... Boy Scouts, Civil Air Patrol Cadets, EAA Young Eagles, and especially youth wanting to be Missionary Pilots.

Three founders of the group, "Youth Missions Aviation Academy", are Mission Aviation Fellowship Advocates, and another founder is a former JAARS/Wycliffe Bible Translator Missionary.

Aviation in missions opportunity

Here in the Peachtree City, GA area we have a number of missions organizations. One has a contingent of mission pilots here in the home USA office of Africa Inland Mission. http://aimint.org/

Another with a worldwide ship ministry to the third world that I have served with a little is Operation Mobilization (OM) http://www.omusa.org/
They called me a ship's carpenter. Can you believe that? Me, a ship's carpenter. And yes, I did make some fittings out of wood.

Hi All,

I would like to chime in if I may...

This is a great and very eye-opening thread (on a number of levels!), and I would like to second the idea of this topic becoming some sort of permanent "RV Missionary" thread by the moderator (or however this sort of thing works).

Also, as I am in the Charlotte NC-area for the summer-ish months, I would like to check out the JAARS event in May, if possible please.

Thanks to all :)

One of the best stick and rudder BFR's I ever had was an Assembly of God missionary pilot to Honduras in a Helio courier. This gentleman would fly over villages and preach with a loud speaker in perfect Spanish. He also would do candy and gift drops to the village children during Christmas. He performed amazing minimum radius turns and STOL landings that would have even raise eyebrows on the best of cub pilots. A very humble man and awesome pilot. Needless to say. He passed. :D. Very enjoyable thread indeed!

Last edited:
Providence

Isn't it interesting this intersection of homebuilders and missions. I just spent the weekend learning aerobatics from Greg Koontz in Alabama. It's great because you get to stay in his house and he and Cora feed you three meals a day while you learn to fly upside down. Anyway, we all watched "End of the Spear" after dinner the second night. I first heard the story of the Saints, Elliots, Waodani and others as a kid. The movie is very accurate according all I've learned. Aviation is an adventure. The Christian life is the greatest adventure. John

Not RV related.

This is a great and very eye-opening thread (on a number of levels!), and I would like to second the idea of this topic becoming some sort of permanent "RV Missionary" thread by the moderator (or however this sort of thing works).

On the contrary, I would recommend that this thread should be moved by a moderator to the Temporary Section so that it self expires. The link between RVs and Christian missionary work in South America is tenuous to say the least. :rolleyes:

Doug Reeves might also like to add religion to his list of banned topics in the Posting Rules. I think it would be fair to say that comments about religion are at least as divisive as comments about politics.

I saw the premier showing of "End of the Spear" at Atlanta about 1 1/2 years ago. I have missed meeting Steve four times by less than 5 minutes. For those who don't know, I do videos for missionaries. I expect to meet him sometime, and I really believe the only reason I haven't is that the timing isn't right.

BTW and a bit off topic, Lionel Smith of Christian Wings for the World (also a friend of Steven) trains missionary pilots. See www.christianwings.org. He has been going through very serious eye problems. You know what that means to a pilot. He is THE BEST pilot I have ever flown with and could use your prayers.

Bob Kelly

I just met Lionel by telephone last week. I'm at 52F (Doug' Hanger Neighbor) and started reading Lionel' books this week. Neat flying stories back in the day. I teach instrument and reading how they did everything in the 60s reminds me of how far we've come.

Anyway, I am thinking (and talking to MAF and Lionel) about teaching a missionary flying course at 52F to get guys ready for their technical evaluation.

RV could be great low level VFR and platform....

PS Here is a great video from Spyers flying floats in Peru for SAM Air

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I7Z5ZnAYcng

Last edited:
Isn't it interesting this intersection of homebuilders and missions. ... Aviation is an adventure. The Christian life is the greatest adventure. John

Amen, brother. I'd say the fact that a resurrected 10 year old thread still generating commentary and helping bring rv'ers together gives it some worth, but...to be fair, of course I'm the one that intentionally revived it.

Sometimes, I wonder the cycle...are there so many giving souls involved in aviation because we are all so full of wealth that we feel the need to give some away?

Or perhaps are we blessed to be able to do what we do because of our giving spirit? I know that I believe the latter...and while I've been challenged by doing non profit stuff and spending money flying, if need be I would give up the airplane. I believe that the genuine willingness to do that is rewarded wth continued provision.

Interesting perspective Bob. I haven't read one post that was even remotely "devisive". On the contrary it seems that there are many "people of faith" that enjoy this forum and the use of the product discussed here for helping an indigenous people group is a breath of fresh air. I do agree that it may be beneficial to those who WANT to read about the subject to have a dedicated discussion section.
Respectfully,

Speaking from experience

Bob,

It is relevant, related and RV specific. I am a missionary and a repeat builder. I leave for Ukraine again in June and will meet with a RV parts supplier there that supports me. I use the materials and documentation there from my experimental builds, RV and others, to start dialogs with former Soviet pilots and one former adversary, A KGB operative.

Just because you may see the RV and Christian Mission work as unrelated, even threatening, does not make it so. I would welcome you to join my team in Ukraine, this June, to see for yourself.

God bless you.

Back