What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

paint prep help

bobnoffs

Well Known Member
hi all,
my 12 will be flying by summer and it will be moved to the hangar in a month. i have the opportunity to have the a&p at my airport paint my plane [in pieces] after i do all the prep, either in his hangar or at home in my heated shop [not fuselege] seems like a great opportunity this coming winter.
i covered and painted all but finish coat on my last plane but i don't even know what i don't know about modern paints and prepping metal planes.
anyone in my area in the next 2 months going to be prepping their plane for the paint shop. i would love to spent a day with you helping and soaking up all i can .
i live in n. wi., 70 miles northwest of wausau. if something can be worked out please pm me.

a tad too late here. Should be doing the last two sets of spraying this weekend adn early next week. Happy to answer questions though,

Larry

When John Stahr painted my 12, we took a scotchbright wheel in an air drill and hit every rivet head from two directions, 90 degrees apart. He then sanded the aluminum in between the rivet rows with a pad sander and scotchbright pad until the water sheeted off. That was the only prep we did.

Back