What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Blast tube repurpose to cool oil filter?

midwest rv-10

I replaced one magneto years ago on my RV-10 factory IO-540 but just realized that I didn't block off the blast tube that was used to cool it. It got me thinking about pointing it at the oil filter to possibly help reduce oil temps a bit. Genius I thought! While I don't have a oil temp issue currently, a 2-3 degree benefit would be great! My question is does the oil flow too quickly through the filter to make a difference? Would a shroud similar to the fuel pump shroud help this effort? Does anyone think this idea has merit?
Thoughts?

Don Orrick
N410JA 40010

I replaced one magneto years ago on my RV-10 factory IO-540 but just realized that I didn't block off the blast tube that was used to cool it. It got me thinking about pointing it at the oil filter to possibly help reduce oil temps a bit. Genius I thought! While I don't have a oil temp issue currently, a 2-3 degree benefit would be great! My question is does the oil flow too quickly through the filter to make a difference? Would a shroud similar to the fuel pump shroud help this effort? Does anyone think this idea has merit?
Thoughts?

Don Orrick
N410JA 40010

Sounds like an experiment worth testing. I would doubt youd see any temp reduction, but then again, someones already been here and thought about it, so....https://dommagazine.com/article/oil-filter-heat-sink

Perhaps blocking off the blast tube would have more effect by passing more air through the engine fins and oil cooler....?

Back