What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

2024T3 vs 606T3 for home made instrument panel?

Steve Crewdog

Well Known Member
Patron
Any thoughts pro vs con? My metal guru wants me to use 2024 but some other gents tell me I should be using 6061 for corrosion resistance.

TIA

pretty much whatever you have on hand. 2024 is maybe 10% stronger. i have used both. i don't think corrosion is an issue , considering it is going to be painted for sure and no big deal to rattle can the back if you're worried about it.
can't say i noticed any difference ''machining'' one metal over the other.

Any thoughts pro vs con? My metal guru wants me to use 2024 but some other gents tell me I should be using 6061 for corrosion resistance.

TIA
Actually 2024-T3 is X2 stronger than 6061-T4. Common temper for 6061 is T4 or T6

Alloy Temper E G Yield Ult
2024 T3 10.6 4.00 42 64
2024 T4 10.6 4.00 40 62
6061 T4 10.0 3.80 16 30
6061 T6 10.0 3.80 35 42

The last column ULT is ultimate tensile strength. E and G are elastic and shear modulus (think stiffness). You can see 6061 T4 is easier to bend with yield of 16 KSI.

Question, is instrument panel structural part of airplane. Well in an RV it does attach to the fuselage and will pick up some loads but don't think it's critical. You do have to support the instruments and avionics. I am sure 6061I-T4 in proper thickness would get the job done, but get 6062-T6, closer to 2024-T3.

Instrument panel corrosion is not an issue. You are going to paint it yes? Most of the airplane is made of 2024T3 clad. Un-clad aluminum of any alloy or temper will corrode.

Why are you not using Van's supplied panel? What material is the Van's panel made of? Bottom line it probably does not matter.

Last edited:
Rarely if ever is the instrument panel relied on as a load bearing piece, because you punch so many holes in it - its just an item to mount things in.

We dont know what youre building or what your mission is - so you need to do some evaluation - but chances are that what you use is immaterial - you could use fiberboard if it supports you gear if you wanted to.....or have no panel at all - just use a helmet mounted hud.

2024 is more expensive than 6061, so your metal guru may either want more of your pocket money or hes defaulting to the best you can get vs what you need.

Just as food for thought, my panel isnt a panel at all, but a substructure upon which I bolt individual panels or racks and such to......I wouldnt have any metal to speak of if I'd just done it as a flat panel plate.....
kak0g2.jpg

14js09k.jpg

Last edited:
My apologies, I thought I had unmasked already. I'm actually building a Progressive Aerodyne SeaRey, but with fewer than 500 of them flying the expertise here far overwhelms the limited tech support on our site. My metalworking seadday is a great guy, but some fo the SeaRey guys were asking why 2024 when they normally used 6061, and it's because I was doing what I was told. Now I'm trying to avoid spending $100 for a new sheet of 6061 and redoing the panel.

I fully admit I am flying wing/leeching on the Vans knowledge base, donated my $25, and hope it's Ok if i ask an occasional non-VAF question in the General forum. If the Mods and members don't want me to post, Fair skies and tailwinds, see you at Sun n Fun, and I'll go back to lurking.

Steve
http://seareybuild.blogspot.com/

Last edited:
Strength of the metal by itself is only part of the picture, but also how is it braced? If it’s braced in the middle, say from the the FW to the center, or with a lateral angled bracket of some sort, then 6061 should work fine. But if it’s unbraced or has any structure aspect to it, then I recommend 2024-T3, which is really the most common alloy for this job.

I prefer 2024-T3 in 0.080”.

Consider making a trial 1 or 2 panels out of 3/32 lexan or 1/8 lexan. When you are sure you have it the way you really want, you can make he final one in AL.

Check with the kit MFG and other truly experienced builders. Running on waves at take off and landing speeds really beats he He11 out of everything. Lots of shock loads and hundreds of cycles per take off run.

I'll take the 2024 simply because it cuts and edges more cleanly. 6061 is kinda sticky to file and sand.

That said, I've made panels from 3003. Depends on support.

Welcome to VAF

Steve, welcome to VAF.

Lots of members are building non Vans aircraft, myself included.

When you get that SeaRey, try on an RV for size------you might like it.

Structural

Maybe Scott will chime in but I asked that very question because I wanted to try something. Answer was yes. It is a structural element.

If I recall, 6061-T4 / T6 would be too brittle to bend vs 2024-T3. The bend at the bottom adds rigidity to the panel.

Steve, welcome to VAF.

Lots of members are building non Vans aircraft, myself included.

When you get that SeaRey, try on an RV for size------you might like it.

Mike (and all), thanks for the kind words and welcome. I've flown an RV and loved it, but it's not the kind of flying I was looking for. OTOH, the first time I flew a SeaRey I fell in love.

The panel will be mounted overhead, and I'm actually on the second iteration. The first one was made out of fiberglass layup, and I messed up and put the compass right next to the radio. (oopsss...) Around that time a gent stopped by who had done avionics work in the USN for 23 years and started pointing out small things that could be improved on, soooo....... We're redoing the whole shebang, making it better, stronger, and faster for repairing.

Panel%2Bredo%2B%252810%2529.JPG

I realize this is a VAF forum, and sure don't want to step on any toes, but perhaps a "And now for something completely different" section could be set up for paying members who are building non-Vans aircraft who would like to tap into the wealth of knowledge here. And it would also give Vans builders a look outside the world of bucking rivets.

If I recall, 6061-T4 / T6 would be too brittle to bend vs 2024-T3. The bend at the bottom adds rigidity to the panel.

No problem bending either alloy across the grain provided the min. bend radius is respected.

Rarely if ever is the instrument panel relied on as a load bearing piece, because you punch so many holes in it - its just an item to mount things in.
Even with holes in it, it is part of the structure and will pick up loads. Take the panel out and push on the sides of the fuselage where the panel was you took out. The fuselage will flex more than when it was in. The instrument panel ties to the side of fuselage longerons which provides laterally stability. When longerons are in compression they need things to keep them from buckling or crippling... With the panel (which has an angle at the bottom and is stiff) the fuselage will have more stiffness overall. Is it critical? Not really, but without doing analysis you don?t know what it contributes.

Even with holes in it, it is part of the structure and will pick up loads. Take the panel out and push on the sides of the fuselage where the panel was you took out. The fuselage will flex more than when it was in. The instrument panel ties to the side of fuselage longerons which provides laterally stability. When longerons are in compression they need things to keep them from buckling or crippling... With the panel (which has an angle at the bottom and is stiff) the fuselage will have more stiffness overall. Is it critical? Not really, but without doing analysis you don?t know what it contributes.

In the case of the SeaRey, it's attached to and hangs from the nosedeck. The way we do it, however, is being changed in the MkII panel we're now building.

Sometime, you have to take a step back to move forward, and keep from having to take twenty steps back at a later date.

P1110726.JPG

Back