- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Model Specific > RV-10
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-11-2018, 11:44 AM

Default Heavy right wing question

I have read the postings on a heavy wing, but most seems to be due to a heavy left wing. I know all the postings are also applicable to the right wing, but just want to see if Iím missing something. In the hanger, everything lines up. Reflex position, both ailerons line up with flaps and wing tips. In flight, I notice the left aileron trailing edge is approximately 1/4 to 1/2 inches deflected down below the trailing edge of the wing tip. Right aileron is aligned close to the wing tip, slightly upward. Made some adjustments to take out any play, but no change. Ailerons are rigged properly. Aileron trim works and takes out the roll, but takes a lot of trim to do so. I did some gas burn in the right tank, and burnt around 30-36 lbs of fuel. Both Garmin servo and Vanís trim installed in the right wing.

On another note, this is a great cross country airplane. Been hitting 160 knots true, 13.5 ROP in an unpainted plane. Already done multiple trips from Georgia to the Keys. Wife said it is more comfortable than the Saratoga we had. The 4.5 years to build it had, on occasions, tested me to my limits. The final results justified the time, the blood, the sweat, and the many negative four letter words (I normally donít use), to build it.
Old 06-11-2018, 12:10 PM

Iíd guess your rigging is off.

One point, make sure you rig the ailerons with the elevator clamped in neutral (trail). The stick movement is not linear and will pull the ailerons. Once done:
- Verify the flaps are really all the way up.
- Verify ailerons really aligned with the flaps
- Verify you donít have an aileron hanging low or high (various ways to measure - like is the gap between the aileron and wing skin the same along the length of the aileron and the same between the ailerons?).

Not to be a pain but you should expect better than 160 at 13.5GPH. You have the wheel pants on? If not, another sign that rigging needs work.

Carl
Old 06-11-2018, 12:43 PM

+1
Rigging is amazingly sensitive to the vertical height of the ailerons. With all surfaces neutral, stand in front of the wing and sight down the top surface. Your sight line should flow smoothly from the end of the wing onto the top of the aileron. Compare left and right sides. If one aileron is higher than the other, that wing will be heavy. Vans sells undrilled aileron brackets just for this purpose.
Old 06-11-2018, 12:44 PM

Are your flaps both set perfectly equal? Our right flap is 1/4" - 1/2" lower than the fuselage on the inboard edges which I think is what is causing our heavy left wing. Plane was purchased this way, going to fix it during condition / when paint is done.

You could also check your flaps angle against the lower wing skin. Are they perfectly level to the lower wing skin? I think that's reflex if they are.

Last edited by rdrcrmatt : 06-11-2018 at 12:52 PM.
Old 06-11-2018, 07:49 PM

Thanks. Looks like I will start from the beginning and double check everything to make sure I didn’t miss something. Then I will also check the aileron position in regards to the hinges.
Old 06-11-2018, 08:35 PM

Thumbs up Rigging

Bob Turner is dead-on about the sensitivity to rigging. To get it right, it's important to start in the right place, which is the flaps. Fully up, which is the reflex position, the flap motion should be limited by contact with the rear wing spar (check this with the flap pushrod disconnected). Next, with the flap all the way up (touching the spar), the trailing edge should be level with the bottom of the fuselage. This is the position at which the flap motor should just run out of travel. If the flap is hanging down below the bottom of the fuse, it's probably being held out there by the pushrod adjustment being too long and the flap motor running out of travel before the flap is pulled all the way up. With the flap push rods properly adjusted and the flaps properly aligned in the reflex position, the ailerons can then be adjusted to match the flaps. Couple of caveats here: #1 - As Carl stated, it's important to secure the ELEVATOR in the neutral trail position before adjusting the ailerons (easily done with tape). #2 - Make sure the control stick is centered, this should already be close if you've followed the plans. Once the ailerons are adjusted, the wingtips can be evaluated.

Once you're all rigged up nice with wheel pants and gear fairings, 160ktas will be your economy cruise setting at 9.5gph LOP...
Old 06-12-2018, 08:07 AM

Like most builders, I never made a single mistake during my build on the plane, but just in case I did miss something, I’m definitely starting from the beginning on this.

One question, If flaps are in the reflex position and against the spar and the trailing edge is above the bottom of the fuselage, maybe around 1/8 inch. Any issues. Do I keep it against the spar or make them even with the fuselage bottom.

Last edited by togaflyer : 06-12-2018 at 08:27 AM.
Old 06-12-2018, 09:52 AM

Default Flaps Reflex

The plans reference the stop against the spar as the definitive reflex position. If it were mine, I would use that reference and not worry too much about 1/8 of an inch of alignment with the fuse bottom. It is important to make sure the left and right are evenly matched, however. If they're not even it might be necessary to adjust the high side flap down a bit with the pushrod, so it matches the other one that's up against the spar. The actual flap angle can be measured with a digital level (or a smartphone) held along the flap rib closest to the fuselage. This is also a handy way to check for twist in the flap by checking the angle of each rib from one end of the flap to the other.
Old 06-12-2018, 10:07 AM

Default flaps

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdrcrmatt View Post
Are your flaps both set perfectly equal? Our right flap is 1/4" - 1/2" lower than the fuselage on the inboard edges which I think is what is causing our heavy left wing. Plane was purchased this way, going to fix it during condition / when paint is done.

You could also check your flaps angle against the lower wing skin. Are they perfectly level to the lower wing skin? I think that's reflex if they are.
Agreed, only fixed surfaces like flaps will change a heavy wing. Ailerons just accommodate. Lower the flap on the heavy wing slightly. Oh, fuel in balance will also cause one side to be heavy.
Working on Wiring
Only panel left to go.
Anacortes, WA
www.mykitlog.com/sglynn
Old 06-12-2018, 10:12 AM

One more place to check is your individual elevator alignment. I found that a slight (1/4" at the counterbalance leading edge) misalignment between the left and right elevators will affect the roll of the airplane which manifests as a heavy wing.
RV-10 Building - Wings - Flaps/Ailerons
www.DarinAnderson.com
2018 donation sent!