- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Model Specific > RV-10
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-05-2018, 06:21 AM

Default RV-10 rudder trim ideas

I ordered the Aerosport under-panel rudder trim kit and spent this past weekend attempting to install it. I finally gave up - it's waaaayy too busy under that panel for that mechanism to peacefully coexist with everything that's currently there.

I definitely need some sort of rudder trim and I want it to look at least a little bit thought out (as opposed to a bendable tab slapped on the rudder trailing edge). I thought briefly about attaching the springs that came with the Aerosport kit directly to the rudder cables somewhere in the tail section, but that could create more problems than it fixes.

So I'm mining the community for ideas.
Build #41389, started Oct 2012
Current status: 1st Flight 11/10/17
Old 06-05-2018, 06:54 AM

I used the hinge method with a Ray Allen servo. Hard to see in the photo but the servo is mounted on the inside of a removable access panel to the left of the threaded rod fairing. I installed during the build but it still would be an EZ retrofit to a flying plane with minimal paint touch-up. IIRC I used about 10" of hinge and That would give a little over a full ball either side. I found it an invaluable accessory on my -10, especially with various loading and winds aloft.
[IMG]DSC01477 by David C, on Flickr[/IMG]

RV-9A: Under Construction. N161RV (Reserved)
RV-10: N959RV Completed 12/29/2013 SOLD 08/23/2016

"Donor Exempt" but donated through Dec. 2018
Old 06-05-2018, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackinMichigan View Post
I ordered the Aerosport under-panel rudder trim kit and spent this past weekend attempting to install it. I finally gave up - it's waaaayy too busy under that panel for that mechanism to peacefully coexist with everything that's currently there.

I definitely need some sort of rudder trim and I want it to look at least a little bit thought out (as opposed to a bendable tab slapped on the rudder trailing edge).
So I'm mining the community for ideas.
I just described a rudder trim tab that I made, which requires no special attachment. I cut a piece of scrap to match the tail light mount on the right side, and left most of it squared off on the left side. Then bent a relatively large radius bend to put the protruding part at oh, perhaps 20 degrees less than right angle to the rear. Drilled holes to fit tail light screws and slotted on right side for tail light wiring. Amazingly enough, my first attempt at the angle proved to be absolutely correct for no rudder input in straight and level.
The force needed for climb or descent is so little, I can't imagine having an adjustable trim that is only needed for perhaps 10 min at each end of flight if you go up fairly high.
KCHD
RV-10 40866
Old 06-05-2018, 08:12 AM

The hard part with that approach looks like it wouldn't be mechanical, but electrical. I'll assume you have a control switch somewhere on your panel.
Old 06-05-2018, 08:31 AM

Is there a need to rebalance the rudder after installing a servo and trim mechanism?
N189PT- Christen Eagle II
N627DG (reserved)- RV10 in the making
www.marksfamilyrv10.wordpress.com
Old 06-05-2018, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackinMichigan View Post
Doh, this was going to be my solution. Is it because there are items such as wiring, mounted items ect that interfere with the kit?
Donated for 2018
Old 06-05-2018, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AviatorJ View Post
Doh, this was going to be my solution. Is it because there are items such as wiring, mounted items ect that interfere with the kit?
Yes. I was originally going to mount it on the co-pilot side, but that's where my radio stack and Garmin GTN-750 is. The structure built into the panel to support all that makes it near-impossible without significant structural reworking, and I wasn't about to do that laying on my back over the seat hump with a Dremel tool.

The pilot side is the same story, that's where all the computer 'guts' are. I would have to remount a couple units deep in the bowels of the panel layout to make it happen.

That being said, you might have better luck. I'll sell you mine for cheap.
Old 06-05-2018, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kellym View Post
I just described a rudder trim tab that I made, which requires no special attachment. I cut a piece of scrap to match the tail light mount on the right side, and left most of it squared off on the left side. Then bent a relatively large radius bend to put the protruding part at oh, perhaps 20 degrees less than right angle to the rear. Drilled holes to fit tail light screws and slotted on right side for tail light wiring. Amazingly enough, my first attempt at the angle proved to be absolutely correct for no rudder input in straight and level.
The force needed for climb or descent is so little, I can't imagine having an adjustable trim that is only needed for perhaps 10 min at each end of flight if you go up fairly high.
I did the same. Simple to do and no lasting damage if you donít like it.

Carl
Old 06-05-2018, 08:51 AM

Default Rudder trim

I have the aerosport rudder trim and have no issues with room to install it...

RV-10
Structure - 90% Done
Cabin Top - Aaarrghhh...
Doors - Done
On Gear
290 HP Barrett Hung
ShowPlanes Cowl with Skybolts Fitted - Beautiful

Dues Paid 2017,...Thanks DR+
Old 06-05-2018, 11:58 AM

Here is the simple trim tab I mentioned in my earlier post. Not my idea - I stole it. Hard to see, but the tab is bent aft perhaps 30 degrees.

Carl