Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 05-27-2018, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by plehrke View Post
And make sure you remove when carrying load with aft CG.
The sailplane has a flashing caution light that has to be cancelled that warns us that ballast is installed.
Old 05-27-2018, 04:43 PM

Some time ago I proposed a slug of lead in an aluminum tube spanning the fuse sides under the stab to address the RV-8 solo CG issues. Have not implemented it yet, but the cautions for spin recovery are valid until proven otherwise. Even a little weight that far aft will alter the MMOI of the vehicle.
WARNING! Incorrect design and/or fabrication of aircraft and/or components may result in injury or death. Information presented in this post is based on my own experience - Reader has sole responsibility for determining accuracy or suitability for use.

Michael Robinson
Old 05-27-2018, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MConner View Post
Kyle, caution noted. I am not planning to load the plane outside the normal CG limit but right now it is at or ahead of the forward limit with no baggage/ballast.
The issue is the moment of inertia. Think of a two pound stick that's a couple of feet long, but most of the weight is located towards the center. Give that stick a spin and it'll spin rapidly, but slow down relatively quickly too. Take that same stick and put the weight out towards the ends and it'll be harder to get spinning, but once it begins spinning, it'll want to keep spinning - think about a majorette's baton.

Putting a weight on the stinger will make your airplane more like a baton - with more weight out towards the ends. Slower to generate a yaw rate, but once you have a yaw rate (say in a spin), it'll be more difficult to slow/stop that yaw rate.
Old 05-27-2018, 09:12 PM

But if it takes 50 lbs in the baggage area, it might only take 2 lbs on the tailspring. Moment of inertia should be the same, right?
Old 05-27-2018, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rv7charlie View Post
But if it takes 50 lbs in the baggage area, it might only take 2 lbs on the tailspring. Moment of inertia should be the same, right?
No, thatís not the way it works.
Old 05-27-2018, 10:12 PM

Quote:
I agree, the CG is what it is. I do not do acro and and the chance of me getting a fully developed spin is almost zero.

Mark
Old 05-27-2018, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle Boatright View Post
The issue is the moment of inertia. Think of a two pound stick that's a couple of feet long, but most of the weight is located towards the center. Give that stick a spin and it'll spin rapidly, but slow down relatively quickly too. Take that same stick and put the weight out towards the ends and it'll be harder to get spinning, but once it begins spinning, it'll want to keep spinning - think about a majorette's baton.

Putting a weight on the stinger will make your airplane more like a baton - with more weight out towards the ends. Slower to generate a yaw rate, but once you have a yaw rate (say in a spin), it'll be more difficult to slow/stop that yaw rate.
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobTurner View Post
No, thatís not the way it works.
I'm getting my popcorn. This might get interesting fast

RV-7 Slider #74572
Started 11/2016
Empennage completed 11/2016 (sans fiberglass)
Ailerons and flaps completed 3/2017.
Wings completed 12/2017 (sans fiberglass)
Started on QB fuselage 01/2018
Donated 2017
Old 05-27-2018, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MConner View Post
I agree, the CG is what it is. I do not do acro and and the chance of me getting a fully developed spin is almost zero.

Mark
For your -10, the spin issue is probably a minor consideration. For folks who are trying to move the CG aft for aerobatics, the moment of inertia is a real consideration because aerobatics increase the odds of entering an accidental spin.
Old 05-28-2018, 05:13 AM

Default Kyle, your point duly noted !

Without getting Dan H in the arena, is anyone qualified do an MoI comparison between acceptable CG with pax and baggage VS a stinger weight. Is the popcorn done yet ?
Clinton, IN
Old 05-28-2018, 05:38 AM

Default My solution

Over two years ago I installed a ballast container in the tail of my RV-8 to improve aerobatic performance when flying solo. The concept received many critical comments when I posted it on VAF but I have found that the addition of 20 pounds to the tail of the aircraft has greatly eased the stick forces required in aerobatic maneuvering, especially in inverted flight, and I have no problems with spin recovery or other control issues. The thread can be viewed HERE.

http://www.vansairforce.com/communit...d.php?t=133740
Track Me
VAF 2018 Donor
"He who demands everything that his aircraft can give him is a pilot; he that demands one iota more is a fool."