VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 05-08-2018, 06:03 AM

My calipers say it's 0.075" - sorry I missed that originally. The bottom part is steel, rainbow colors a little bit so I guess heat treated or anodized? The bow looks to be stainless to me, but I don't know a good way to verify vs. aluminum without grinding on it.

Last edited by ctennis : 05-08-2018 at 06:10 AM. Reason: add material info
Old 05-14-2018, 06:04 AM

Default Vanís Yaw Servo Mount

I keep scratching my head - why all this effort and money and complexity for something not necessary? Got 800 hours on my 10 and the effort to step on the ball for a few seconds each flight hardly needs a fix.

Yaw dampers are needed on some designs (Bonanza), maybe a 14 (donít know), but certainly not a 10. Of course, it is your nickle and time.
Old 05-14-2018, 07:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nukeflyboy View Post
I keep scratching my head - why all this effort and money and complexity for something not necessary? Got 800 hours on my 10 and the effort to step on the ball for a few seconds each flight hardly needs a fix.

Yaw dampers are needed on some designs (Bonanza), maybe a 14 (don’t know), but certainly not a 10. Of course, it is your nickle and time.
I need enough right rudder pressure in level flight at cruise speeds that it gets annoying after a bit.

Every RV is different.
Old 05-14-2018, 07:59 AM

Default But

That is NOT what a yaw damper is for...needing constant rudder pressure is a job for rudder TRIM, not a yaw damper. In fact, it specifically says in the Garmin installation manual that the yaw damper isn't to be used as a trim replacement.

That being said, from most reports here, the installation of the yaw damper works fairly well in this airplane as trim...

RV-10
Structure - 90% Done
Cabin Top - Aaarrghhh...
Doors - Done
On Gear
290 HP Barrett Hung
ShowPlanes Cowl with Skybolts Fitted - Beautiful

Dues Paid 2017,...Thanks DR+
Old 05-14-2018, 09:10 PM

"That is NOT what a yaw damper is for...needing constant rudder pressure is a job for rudder TRIM, not a yaw damper. In fact, it specifically says in the Garmin installation manual that the yaw damper isn't to be used as a trim replacement."

That being said and undoubtedly true, how about temporarily putting an amp meter in the power circuit for the yaw damper to see how hard it's working to center the ball? I would think max climb attitude at WOT would be the worst case scenario.
Old 05-15-2018, 07:02 PM

Default Naw, man

Yaw dampers aren't for rudder trim - they're for making the wife comfortable on cross-countries, even when most pilots feel they aren't really necessary.

Enough RV-10 drivers have weighed in here on VAF saying they/their passengers love their yaw dampers that it only took realizing it was already coded into the AFS software to convince me to outfit my build for eventual inclusion of an SV-42 servo in that role. It'll be one of the last things I buy, after phase I, most likely. Won't cost any extra to add the feature set to the EFIS, just the hardware. For that cost, I decided that at least the bracket and tiller bow were worth the investment for now.

Hop-Along Aerodrome (12VA)
RV-6A - N30YD - flying since '98
RV-10 - N130YD reserved - under construction

donating monthly to the VAF - thanks, Doug
Old 05-15-2018, 07:09 PM

Default exactly

thats my plan, too...

RV-10
Structure - 90% Done
Cabin Top - Aaarrghhh...
Doors - Done
On Gear
290 HP Barrett Hung
ShowPlanes Cowl with Skybolts Fitted - Beautiful

Dues Paid 2017,...Thanks DR+
Old 06-05-2018, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdrcrmatt View Post
I need enough right rudder pressure in level flight at cruise speeds that it gets annoying after a bit.

Every RV is different.
Why would you not correct the level flight rudder with some form of wedge or trim tab so that rudder is only needed when climbing or descending?
I flew for a couple years with a wedge, which was fine, but I didn't like it that much for appearance, so I fabricated a tab to attach under the tail nav light that is just metal extended to the left side from tail light and bent back sufficient amount. It is a bit more sensitive than the wedge was, but keeps ball dead center in level cruise. Then the yaw servo would only operate in turbulence and climb and descent. I can't envision leaving the rudder with no trim device to eliminate rudder usage in level flight.
KCHD
RV-10 40866
Old 06-05-2018, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kellym View Post
Why would you not correct the level flight rudder with some form of wedge or trim tab so that rudder is only needed when climbing or descending?
I flew for a couple years with a wedge, which was fine, but I didn't like it that much for appearance, so I fabricated a tab to attach under the tail nav light that is just metal extended to the left side from tail light and bent back sufficient amount. It is a bit more sensitive than the wedge was, but keeps ball dead center in level cruise. Then the yaw servo would only operate in turbulence and climb and descent. I can't envision leaving the rudder with no trim device to eliminate rudder usage in level flight.

My plan is to add the aerosport rudder trim first, then YD to make the wife happy.
Old 06-11-2018, 02:49 PM

When installing the YD mount and the pitch trim bracket, they use the same aft holes on the surface of the bell-crank bracket. Are shimms or washers used under the pitch trim bracket?
N189PT- Christen Eagle II
N627DG (reserved)- RV10 in the making
www.marksfamilyrv10.wordpress.com