What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV14/10 Wing Cradle Min width

TASEsq

Well Known Member
Patron
I need to build a rolling wing cradle for my spars and plan to use Mouser?s design. This is 28? in diameter which is about 1-2? too wide to fit between my door!

Can anyone who has used / built a cradle advise what would be the minimum workable diameter? (For instance don?t want to put the wings too close and the ailerons hit each other etc)

Has anyone made 2 seperate cradles? This way you could work on the skins without having to remove one wing from the other side of the cradle to get access? (These may end up too thin and be unstable).

This was the cradle that would work well:
https://www.myrv14.com/buildlog/20130210/RV1420130128-204158-006.html

Thank you!

If you are using the cradle to help mount the fuel tanks, I'd keep the height as-is. However, I mounted the fuel tanks while the wing was still on a table, so I found the cradles could easily be 5-6" lower (the spar side actually has just under 9" of clearance between the leading edge of the fuel tanks and the bottom cross braces of the cradle). I'm only using the cradles to store the wings, not for transport, so the height isn't really a concern. (When I transport the wings to a hangar later this year, I'll fabricate padded transport cradles that will each hold one wing in a horizontal position.)

You can view both wings in my cradle at the end of this post: https://alex-rv14a.blogspot.com/2019/09/17-outboard-leading-edge-complete-20.html

_Alex

If you are using the cradle to help mount the fuel tanks, I'd keep the height as-is. However, I mounted the fuel tanks while the wing was still on a table, so I found the cradles could easily be 5-6" lower (the spar side actually has just under 9" of clearance between the leading edge of the fuel tanks and the bottom cross braces of the cradle). I'm only using the cradles to store the wings, not for transport, so the height isn't really a concern. (When I transport the wings to a hangar later this year, I'll fabricate padded transport cradles that will each hold one wing in a horizontal position.)

You can view both wings in my cradle at the end of this post: https://alex-rv14a.blogspot.com/2019/09/17-outboard-leading-edge-complete-20.html

_Alex

Would some use this type of cradle design to transport the wings?
Alex I would be interested when the time comes to see your design for transport.

Thanks again Alex,

Nice blog!

Can I trouble you for a measurement from the floor to the tip of the flaps / aileron? (Incl the castors).

@Trent - thanks! The distance from the floor to the tip of the flaps is 70.3" at its highest point. I slung the carpet holding the leading edge a little lower, so the distance from the floor to the ailerons is about 68".

@Glenn - My current cradle could theoretically be used for transport, as long as sufficient padding was placed between the two wings, and everything was secured to the inside of the transport vehicle. But most U-hauls don't have enough tie-down points to make that feasible. I'll certainly post a blog entry for my transport cradle(s) - I'm just waiting to get a hangar, which hopefully will happen in the next few months.

Back