What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

9A cowling oil door.

ron sterba

Well Known Member
Where would one find a oil door kit, you know the hinge and cam locks, just like the one on the Cessna 172.

Ron in Oregon

I brought two flush Hartwell latches and used the piano hinge came with the cowling kit.

IMG_5894.JPG

My installation.

from ebay.

from Aircraft Spruce

Thanks Rick,Ted,and Nate. Oil door kit ordered! I think it looks cleaner with the cam loc latch. Saw a few at the local fly-in. Again thanks.
Ron in Oregon

..and the broken record ....again....

Ron, just gotta say that I REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY
wish I had a door on the OTHER side of my cowl too!
..to do a good preflight look for leaks & critters, access the battery, check the oil cooler etc. etc.

Did I mention I REALLY wish I had one? :)

...but that's just me apparently. ( what I really wish the cowl flipped up like a car hood. or a Supercub...or a Pitts.

Hey...hope I can hijack this thread a bit...anybody come up with an oil door that is unlocked by pulling a cable from within the cabin?

A little pricey but I think you could copy the design.

http://shop.lancair.com/inventoryD.asp?item_no=802-0001&CatId={5B61371A-49F3-449B-9D47-1B92887227A7}

Brian

Hey...hope I can hijack this thread a bit...anybody come up with an oil door that is unlocked by pulling a cable from within the cabin?

If the cable went into the cabin, how would you get the upper cowling off? You would need some sort of disconnect. I would hate for that to accidentally lock you out of your engine compartment!

There is an example of a hidden oil door latch here. I think you would have to reach in from the inlets to open this.

I bent my own "hidden" hinge from some scrap .032, it was way easier than I thought and used some flush camlock buttons from B and B aircraft supplies.

I'm sure it could be done - would just need to be able to reach in through the opening to disconnect the mechanism before removing the cowling

A la Lancair

You can run the pull cable for those springloaded gold anodized latches under a couple of bid of glass and have it pop out right near the cowl inlet. So you just reach in and pop the cowl open. Use it with the Nonstop hinge kit w\spring and it will pop open nicely. It's a popular mod on Lancairs and Glasairs.

I set mine up so that it is spring loaded closed, and just pushes inwards to open. doesnt need a latch and wont bow open when in flight. no exterior hardware, cheap and clean

Back