What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Rudder Pedal Placement

Dave S

I'm at the stage where I need to drill holes for the rudder placement. I see the Vans recommends a minimum of 3 inches for maximum leg room, as well as drilling multiple holes for adjustment,

I'm 5'6" with a 30 inch inseam, can any one give me a good place to start as well as how far they spaced the multiple holes for adjustment.

I realize once the seat is in that will be the final verdict, but just looking for a starting point.

Thanks

Be Aware

When you drill the holes realize the center bracket has different hole spacing than the outside. I thought I would be smart and repeat the use of the one hole in the outside brackets; come to find out the center holes now have an edge distance problem. My solution was to offset the center bracket, using the full width of the flange.
Never underestimate the ingenuity of fools.

Look on drawing 37 "left side view" in the middle bottom. It shows additional holes on a spacing of half the center and side rudder block. Be careful, the F-6115 center block has a 3" spacing and the F-6116 side block has a 3.25" spacing. I made about three or four sets of holes aft of the 3" minimum distance. The final location as you mentioned, also depends on the seat back bottom and top positions which also dictate full throw on the stick and full throw on the engine controls. Note also that the F-6119 rudder cable link is "made to fit" the final location of the rudder pedals, not only where they are bolted to the longeron at the top, but also the angle they are at. The angle depends on the "feel" of the brake pedals.

I?m 5?9? with 30? inseam. Seats all the way back, and pedals as far forward as allowed. Would not want them any closer. Could easily move seat closer a few inches. I also drilled a few holes closer but it would be a real pain to move them on a completed plane. As said before, the different spacing in the blocks really screw up placing multiple holes. Good luck.

Dave, below are two links to my RV 7 Rudder build/install videos. Also be advised that the two end blocks that mount the rudder tubes to the sides of the fuselage have angled holes pre-drilled to fit the tapper of the fuselage, so these only mount one way. (Explained in first video about 10:00 min. mark.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0tqwCJ30ByE&list=PLRJi6Zhisj8UUfyKmBM6VSf-dL3aQUSTl&index=76&t=0s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GbHT-SrkJJI&list=PLRJi6Zhisj8UUfyKmBM6VSf-dL3aQUSTl&index=77&t=0s

Feel free to email me with questions.

Back