What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

build an RV-7 in your basement

I live a short drive to his house. Want to make contact and pick his brain...Wow, cutting a hole in your foundation, that is hardcore.

Isn't there a joke about it being cheaper to knock a wall out of your basement than renting a hangar while building an airplane?

Here's someone who took it to heart :)

http://www.abc27.com/story/14719524/mechanicsburg-mans-basement-plane-finally-free

Enjoy!
TahoeBob
student pilot (Diamond DA-20)
Wannabe RV-7 builder
longtime lurker

Great idea....

Now I am in Australia and we don't have basements. Really, if you have a basement then people look at you and say "really? can I see it?"

I would do it if I hade one. Its not the cost of the hanger that hurts its the time away from your family. Doing it in your house means the kids can join in right after doing the homework and you can be riverting and then go help your wife with something then come straight back to it. Do it inhouse adds to the family, doing it in a hanger takes away from your family.

Someone told me the other week, a well know builder whose aircraft is posted on the ClassicAero site as Customer example of an outstanding interior

"Gus, how strong is your relationship because this plane has caused divorces" I took that seriously

And from the look of what happened the foundations didn't get touched, it was just the wall that got removed. I would rebrick and replace the earth and compact it down within the week however that is for sure.

basement

This made the 11 pm news on Los Angeles TV. Nothing new aboiut this, in the early days of EAA a builder in WI knocked out the wall three different times for three airplanes.

Living rooms too.

I built my Cassutt wings in my living room because it was the only room long enough when I was a young, struggling CFI, fresh out of the Army:

BuildingCassutt.jpg

The climate-controlled atmosphere worked well for glue cure and no warpage.

Best,

and before that...

My -9 was built in my basement as well.

I did have to widen a door to get it out.

Back