What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Need a comm

rvator9a

Well Known Member
I need to buy a comm and I am looking for some input, I am building on a budget so price is a biggie, I plan on being at s&f so I wiil have a chance to shop there, but I am wondering about others experience buying new/used or particular brands of comms. I have a kt76 transponder and plan on a dynon d100.

look for an ic-a200

So far I have a pre-owned COM, Transponder, and EFIS's (EFII?). Look for a used icom ic-a200. They go for about $600. Try to buy here rather than ebay, since you will hopefully get better luck (RV people are the best).

Then send it to Stein for a bench check (shameless plug :) )

Another vote for the icom here.

One feature I really like is the three mono inputs they have. Those provide an easy way to feed the audio output from the Dynons into you system.

Bob,
I have 2 of the old style "VAL" 720's in my "6". I have had many complments from the tower guys and other aircraft on the qulity of the transmishion. VAL has just released their new design which is much like the ICOM but cheaper and it's made in the good old USA. I can highly recommend VAL to you.
Rich

I'm also trying to build on a budget. I bought a lightly used KY-97A comm and KT-76A Xponder off a board member for less than I could have bought a Garmin GTX 320A Xponder new. There are good deals to be had if you have the cash ready when a deal comes along.

Thanks axel, but I'm trying to hold out for something that fits between transponder and dynon. I will be looking pretty hard at s&f

Back