What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Time to sell one toy to fund another.

msturgis

Well Known Member
Well I did it! I just put my boat up for sale on Craigslist. I am getting to the point where I need to buy my wings. With a new baby due in November, I figured it would be easier on the home front if I sold the family boat first.

They say the two happiest days in a mans life is the day he buys his boat, and the day he sells it!

So i'm curious, how many of you have sold off toys in order to build your RV?

Not yet, but I am sure the day will come. I am in the process of building a 24x40 building to put the other toys in. That's the only way there will be room for wings in the airplane factory.

When I started my RV, I had a half interest in a Piper Tomahawk. Over time, my partner figured out that he'd like to eventually own the Tomahawk outright, so we agreed on a fair price and he bought me out over time, which helped fund the RV project.

Luckily, the partnership ended on good terms, and he let me use the Tomahawk to brush up my proficiency right before test flying the RV.

So, yes, I sold a toy (at least 1/2 of one) to fund the RV.

Another way I created cashflow was by working an evening job teaching math classes at a technical school.

In the end, my available time and money balanced out fairly well.

Same deal here, Sold my weekend car for the project room and money.
I miss it, but keep telling myself when the plane is in the hanger, I will get another.

porsche9934s001.jpg

Well I did it! I just put my boat up for sale on Craigslist. I am getting to the point where I need to buy my wings. With a new baby due in November, I figured it would be easier on the home front if I sold the family boat first.

They say the two happiest days in a mans life is the day he buys his boat, and the day he sells it!

So i'm curious, how many of you have sold off toys in order to build your RV?

Full circle, I'm selling my RV3 to buy a boat. :)

two ducatis

sold my 748 and my 996 is for sale. Coincidentally we also have a baby due in November. Will probably be several months before the wing kit is ordered.

This will likely go on the block in the fall

I've had this machine for 21 years but since I am riding it less and less, I think it will go this fall, prior to the IO-360 purchase. I'm keepin' the 40 year old beemer.

DSC_0127.jpg

Also sold by motorcycle to start the project :

A 2002 Honda VFR 800 with Givi sidecases and windshield
2007%5C09%5C20%5Cbikepics-1030441-800.jpg

We sold our RV

My wife and I drove our RV (motorhome) to Oshkosh this year, our last trip after fifteen years of enjoyable RV ownership. Then we sold it last week to pay for the engine we ordered at Oshkosh, with the intention that our next trip to Oshkosh will be in our RV (airplane), and the hope that we will get just as many enjoyable years of ownership with this new RV.

Last edited:
Back