What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Siberia. RV on skis. Input needed.

Vlad

Well Known Member
A fellow RV builder from Siberia contacted me a while ago. Knowing how intelligent and knowlegeable our group is, he asked me to submit several questions on his behalf to VAF community with very specific purpose. He lives and works in the middle of the continent where there are four distinctive seasons and he is flying (trainers) only in summer and winter. Summer is very short approximately 4 months and winter a bit longer say 5 months with lots of snow. Spring and fall is rainy and humid, turf is too wet so VFR flying during early spring and late fall is very limited I would say nonexistent.
The builder, skilled all over guy and a good flyer, has an RV kit (the big one) sitting in his garage and is thinking how he can get this wonderful machine flying during long Siberian winter. Watching as his trainer "seasonally changed the shoes" from tires to skis and went up in the sky again, he has couple of questions before he will plunge into the project.

1. Theoretically - is it possible to fly RV10 with skis? How good stability, controllability and airframe strengh may be from aerodynamics point of view? Could safety be compromised?

2. Second Q is - what mods may be needed/suggested to attach skis to existing gear legs safely to prevent twisting and misalignment during flight? Especially front ski because it's so close to propeller.

3. Are there any proven ski manufacturers ready to discuss custom building somebody can recommend talking to? I asked mighty google already would like to hear experienced opinion.

That's basically the set of three questions I formulated from his request. ANY input appreciated. Positive or negative opinions are equally valued. Let's brainstorm our Vanheads and help international RV builder to make informed decision.

Challenging!

Vlad,

Well, I have seen an RV on floats - but can't recall seeing one on skis. There, that statement should get us a picture real quick!;)

I can think of a couple of "challenges" of the top of my head. the first is speed. I have flown cubs off of skis, and there was little to no difference in handling because at a Cub's speed, the drag from the boards was pretty minimal. At RV speeds? Hmmm....I think the attach points are going to be pretty beefy. Ever seen C-130 skis? built like tanks - sort of like most Russian military aircraft landing gear...

The other thing I think of is one you mentioned - the nose gear. A tail dragger seems pretty natural on skis on the snow - if the tail ski digs in, it's no big deal. But if a nose ski digs in" Wow, that's gonna be painful! Again, I can't recall seeing a light single nose-dragger on skis...pictures anyone?

Of course, challenges are meant to be overcome, and necessity is the mother of invention...(or is it adventure?)!

Paul

I seem to remember lockheed putting skis on a P-38, try googling to see if there are any pictures of how they did it.

Quite a few tricycle gear airplanes have been put on ski's. The biggest I can think of is a C-130 Herc.

Aside from working out the issues of designing a ski system for an RV-10 is the problem of steering. All trike airplanes that I can think of that have been flown with ski's had steerable nose wheels. The RV-10 has a free castering nose steering that sometimes requires the use of brakes for turning.
If you have ski's on your main gear you wont likely have any brakes.

Quite a few tricycle gear airplanes have been put on ski's. The biggest I can think of is a C-130 Herc.

Yeah, but can you think of a single engined trike on skis? If the nose ski has a problem on a C-130, it just becomes a tobagan....if a single's nose ski dug in - oops!

Now I am just curious!

Paul

I've been reading Cubs forum for couple hours educating myself a bit about the subject. Lots of information on skis, techniques, countless tips and tricks but nothing is written about nosedraggers on skis. The picture is becoming clear...

Thanks Paul,Scott, Bob and Norman for your thoughts. I hope other experts will chime in. Fellow Canadians and the residents of Independent State of Alaska your opinions are very important...

I saw a video about those gigantic Antartic flyers on skis with booster rockets. Impressive.

Cessna ski planes

I maintain two 185'S and a 206 we put on skis to land on glaciers. The biggest concern is the mains having a very long arm that twists side to side when the aircraft turns through a rut or deep snow. Seems to me the whitman gear is ideal for this type of load if the mount bolts are up to it.

Spaseebo Mark for the first pictures of single engine nosewheeler on skis.
Roger that awm.

Last edited:
Vlad,

Someone earlier said the -10 on skis might be an issue because the nose gear is not steerable. While that is true, you could always remove the brake caliper and rig it so some type of "rake" drops down when a brake pedal is applied, creating resistance on the snow and/or ice. That should give you the directional control you need.

Last edited:
Just put it on floats, like this:

april080032.jpg

I seem to remember lockheed putting skis on a P-38, try googling to see if there are any pictures of how they did it.

Lockheed also put a P2V 'Neptune' on skis. It finally worked well after they did a fly over of Greenland, the intended target, then returned to rebuild the nose wheels ski at an AFB in Nova Scotia.

Just put it on floats, like this:

Oh and as to the problem at hand, INVENT.

Last edited:
Inflatables?

Brian are those floats inflatable? Who manufactures them?

Last edited:
I don't know the float manufacturer, I think LOTUS. Yes they are inflatable.

A fellow from Illinois had purchased this Rans S-7 from a friend of mine, He didn't have any tailwheel time so I helped ferry it home for him. He put it on floats for his lake house, the snow landings are a bonus.

Last edited:
Back