What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Fuel filter with carb

rvator9a

Well Known Member
I am curious if anyone is using filters in addition to the gascolator. It seems like it would be a good idea to have a filter (automotive?) in the wingroot to remove crud from getting to the switching valve or pump. Has anyone done this or is it a non-issue?

If I could go back in time and had the bucks to spare, I'd install an Andair gascolator in each wing root. That would filter the gas before the valve and pump as you suggested and would keep a few more connections (and a heat sink) out of the engine compartment.

I am curious if anyone is using filters in addition to the gascolator. It seems like it would be a good idea to have a filter (automotive?) in the wingroot to remove crud from getting to the switching valve or pump. Has anyone done this or is it a non-issue?

I'd say it is a non issue. During the first 25 hrs I found a few little bits of cruft in the gascolator. Now I still check it - but haven't found water or debris in the last 175 hrs (my plane is hangared though).

Fuel Filter

I have a carb and seriously recommend putting a "flowezy" filter (6L something) with a 74 micron filter in line. The Facet pump as well as the FF transducer don't like "junk" in them and can clog. I put one in after the fuel selector in the center section, cleaning once a year is no big deal. If you do a search there was just a recent discussion on filters as they related to FI which has the Flowezy part number that has the AN fitting etc..

edelbrock

I put in edelbrock filter upstream of ff sender. downstream of valve. should be able to get lots of fuel in the cockpit during disassembly.

Yup- but I did it for a different reason...

I installed an MGL Avionics Enigma and the fuel flow sensor they sell. They 'suggest' you install a fuel filter after the mechanical pump, before the fuel flow sensor to take out any surges and insure the sensor doesn't get clogged (that would be bad)

I must say- the plane has run smoother since installing the sensor and filter. I bought the lower fuel flow filter from Spruce Aircraft.

Back