What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Prop doesn't cycle

94kb

Well Known Member
Today the prop on my RV-4 would not cycle or control the RPM. How can I tell if this is the prop or the governor?
2006 RV-4
new when built Hartzell HC-C2YR-1BF
new when built MT P-420-3 governor
engine O-360-C1G front mount governor TT 1600 hours
Engine, governor or prop never been overhauled.
First problem with prop control ever TT 537 hours.

Thanks,
Ken

Your prop has a piston inside that moves from the oil pressure via the governor. Chances are very slim the prop is your problem. Check the cable and movement to the governor. Next you'll have to send the governor in to be tested.

Lycoming makes a fixture/ tool specifically to meet this challenge - prop vs. governor. The fixture is essentially a plate with appropriate holes and fittings for oil passage/ blocking, and can be replicated.
Find an old-guy A&P, save yourself a governor overhaul charge if it IS the prop, or slipped front bearing, or....

Governor failure

Thanks for all that responded. I had no oil pressure change when the prop was cycled. Removed the governor and pressurized the prop change orifice with air to 40 PSI. Prop changed pitch easily. Oil spray all over when the pressure was removed -- I knew this but didn't heed the warning.

Need new or overhauled governor. Any recommendations? Can I disassemble governor myself without special tools?

Thanks to all that responded.

Ken

No biggie, just wanted to make sure you were aware of this offer.

Good luck with finding a repair station.

By the way, IIRC, the folks offering the group discount are a repair station.

Prop. Governor repair

Ken...

I sent my governor in for oil leaks to ...

New Mexico Aircraft Propeller
Dave Husband
5 Airport Road
Belen, NM 87001
1-800-477-5067

The governor shaft had slight play in it. Sent it in UPS overnight, Dave signed for it at 12:30 PM, rebuilt it, shipped it back before 5 pm (same day) and ups delivered it back to me the next day. Cost $200 to $300 and there was zero play in the shaft ans is dry. It is a small shop but the only prop shop in NM.

Dick DeCramer
formally of Las Cruces, NM
now Faribault, MN
N500DD RV6 flying 16 years.

I sent my Hartzell governor for a bench check to:

Aircraft Specialties, Tulsa, OK on Barretts recommendation. I was super pleased with the communication and the test guy even called me with it on the bench to discuss the test results.

Turned around and shipped back on the same day.

Reasonable cost.

SHIPPING ADDRESS
Aircraft Specialties Services
2860 North Sheridan Road
Tulsa, OK 74115

MAILING ADDRESS
Aircraft Specialties Services
P.O. Box 582553
Tulsa, OK 74158

Phone: 918-836-6872
Toll Free: 1-800-826-9252
Fax: 918-836-4419