What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Baggage tie-down mounting

Jake14

Well Known Member
Looking for what others have done to install baggage tie-downs in their 14s to give me some ideas.
I need baggage area tie-downs for my (about 20 lb) tool bag to keep it from flying around during acro. Lots of stuff on the forum about tie-down rings, etc. but I'm looking for how to anchor the tie-downs to the baggage floor in a sturdy way. It's too hard to reach in from the center tunnel to install nuts or backing plates, and I regret not installing access panels in the floor during the build.
Right now, I'm thinking of installing a couple of access panels made from the step attachment covers supplied in the kit. That would let me get in and bolt a couple of tie-down anchors to the floor rib flanges as well as allow for inspection of the structure during annuals.

I installed the Van?s tie down rings. I put one in each rear corner, installing them as far aft as I could, and accessing the underside through the step access plate. The forward two are immediately behind the seats, accessing the underside by removing the seat pan. I located them aft of the flap tube. I use a cargo net to secure bags when necessary. :)

Nutplates

My build is not a 14 but I plan to install 3/8-16 nut plates so my wing tie downs can do double duty. If it doesn't work out, I have an extra set of 3/8-16 eye bolts.:D

Looking for what others have done to install baggage tie-downs in their 14s to give me some ideas.
I need baggage area tie-downs for my (about 20 lb) tool bag to keep it from flying around during acro. Lots of stuff on the forum about tie-down rings, etc. but I'm looking for how to anchor the tie-downs to the baggage floor in a sturdy way. It's too hard to reach in from the center tunnel to install nuts or backing plates, and I regret not installing access panels in the floor during the build.
Right now, I'm thinking of installing a couple of access panels made from the step attachment covers supplied in the kit. That would let me get in and bolt a couple of tie-down anchors to the floor rib flanges as well as allow for inspection of the structure during annuals.

I used some of these: https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/hapages/eyeboltsan42b.php

I put in a few 10-32 of these into nutplates in strategic locations on the floor and baggage bulkhead. The holes in them are pretty small. You can use hooks or just thread some skinny rope through them.

You might want to leave your tools behind on acro days. ;-)

Ed Holyoke

I made my own out of scrap piano hinge and .125 aluminum. The price was REALLY good, FREE NINETY-NINE.

It seems if you blind riveted them onto a rib, it would hold fine. Here's a pic of what I did. Though mine were not riveted in line with rib (they each cross a rib), They'd work just as well turned to run along the rib for more support during acro. Folds (somewhat) flat when not in use, or you can take the pin out to remove top portion. My hinge will be hidden by carpet with slit cut to accommodate the tie downs coming through.

ccbsggT76VN1IDoQNkcAIQz3LV1CfUBwW5nATxWV0TFc6KtjUNyQw51MApxfTgk4eAwLiepEsm8_is9FXBjFwmPQTKaDn3-Y7Vb6PRnjcC2EHjeRPkupyRze7vQ0Aa9n9V43B2-5KLcKWHoAsg5O6M9PE3y1h5MX30Pxi18safNBQULcc42n0L6uqRhjK6UQUlUo2GGITcSbr3RcKkMpYQfRyst6o5qWexG7Yeia8UMaMR24f2jXlcWBRwyoNiOPMOC_pPmX-cgj6-MK6pJPjAwoZCQoVvTswPT9TFeoCE971kAoUZ05trvRNAyKPz6MZXJh6cPKcgjuUKYJKoi1ZiExFxOmwfBYsg4g8BAtts7MdNld-2h3-_6uNcZq1GlMblueOSs29CJbVGFr9snxndkCVFppK0OVraK027AQyKUhrFEspRZQricdBKJZPb6HIEZGCP3rkKT34JzhcVNEGxFmecQIkSmWc2RSIywOKmeTQdiD-nUBDVAu04vXkIW8vK-fg9wL62IXVwpOt_2WUQlHyTjEZXwj9o2gLd6ia1B3hDksnLB0xw1Il8UAi9rEGqAJfCkwTgbiSoDWUyLCsI3pmQ6Lh7ZwmQsaMbBKBVC50KBsd1k4RxxUbECitTVZ7WSs9NPPkxafZs5kscE-FqNOAuH-H0t1uK9suEV2I6tlvmKSp5n42Rfk9lNjBi-JdhOhtmGLDWyKPP9ecpdEtJIsc5CVRtVtBU4INDN4tJwQ5dQdMxEexsc=w575-h766-no

SduigohaErMkwnY2HaYIWwleed_n8iEwxrpCYGLXczNe9GPXk_5mHbK_UqFPeioLnsKeeo7VzfMix8f52xRxOW3xUuajf5HjdJq4DfZNrW3uyw6fwxko14balorUOYOq8v2IGXFIJ3hvDUbI91AcU8yykj9jPfMOG8-rX9JmgmZVTW-muhDf6ZnAtGEhLLaw0Ez-mbddBZtAvfSWYDNKV1s1OgXY_A5ObIOpZ-PTNEj8i905iqIVgY4_-a4aK05iWWKIAS0L2R_PJX7XYVlouo1CfQDCVIu52YUqXsBs5vtghmSOfiyVFVFPl_mh_CreLTcaG-3O0-1ICcWF-NrGWUB39bwmHyG53yNBQR7Jf6QG3NJDu1lvlZVEz3bYn03JLAwDrpbZBxIMXAKD4y9h2kqALLos1vL-mcnmeHbagmXP6QL4bXM0GbDucqjO55FyDJH2f6plm3yvt2DGcMsPVHRe48UR5Apq8wWCo2ias8DBvul2m131Y6lc16kW7kaZzZz0ep4q5ik_fdPbFQplkaJrFbW6hPZpBQk17LtDUMjd_R5BF31Qreo7f8-uE28ig_F09g81RGW8KQgsmBWZMj1snETJWhg91nbarVb5VLad-7RgwKPPmCeDjwv6aYHENG1xRSQs5161wfEMTmuyguWMMjWNQNeDn7NfzIHe_DrzE2R-phWMbmqB5QTI969Ck7OtBdniB5f8xjNQxdJ5lNk-24S_cMuwy9WZYd-837eVqfh2Q18LCxM=w1022-h766-no

Thanks for all the tips....Wound up doing something similar to Randy's..discovered that I could squeeze my hand through the largest lightening hole from the center tunnel so drilled out 3 pop rivets and mounted a bracket (made from 1/8' X 3/4" angle) with screws and nylok nuts. The other end of the tie-down straps is fastened to the passenger seatbelt anchors. Seems pretty sturdy.

https://ibb.co/KxK0tk9

Last edited:
Back