What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Modifying / cutting already installed panel

YellowJacket RV9

Well Known Member
Patron
So after 3 years I am already getting the upgrade bug. I was able to 3D print an adapter to replace my D10 with a GRT Mini, and now I would like to upgrade my Sport SX 8.4" to a Horizon 10.1". This will require enlarging the panel cutout. Does anybody have any preferred tools or tricks to cleanly cutting a panel that is already installed, and containing all the aluminum sure to be flying around?

Chris

So after 3 years I am already getting the upgrade bug. I was able to 3D print an adapter to replace my D10 with a GRT Mini, and now I would like to upgrade my Sport SX 8.4" to a Horizon 10.1". This will require enlarging the panel cutout. Does anybody have any preferred tools or tricks to cleanly cutting a panel that is already installed, and containing all the aluminum sure to be flying around?

Chris

I tend to lay out sharp lines with sharpies and use a cut off wheel to get close and a file to finish the cut. Takes a while, but able to get very straight, clean lines. You want a file with one cutting edge and one plain edge to help with corners (referring to the small edges, not the main cutting surface). No real suggstions for dealing with the dust / debris though. Should be doable, albeit unpleasant, to do this with an installed panel.

Larry

Last edited:
No real suggstions for dealing with the dust / debris though. Should be doable, albeit unpleasant, to do this with an installed panel.
Larry

Have your significant other or build helper hold vacuum cleaner "crevice tool" close to the cutting.

Used the HF pneumatic recip metal saw --

easy to control --- suggestions above for vacuum and file-to-finish worked great --- on my last mod, I just built a new panel --- got everything where I wanted it.

Ron

I added a 696 to my panel a decade or so ago.

To catch the chips, I laid towels and sheets all over the floorboards and interior of the aircraft. Canopy too.

On the panel itself, I made a diaper (?) that I taped to the backside (see what i did there) of the panel to catch the swarf which went that way. I used a dremel with a cutoff wheel to make the cut, then a file to finish the opening.

I thought it worked pretty well.

I used a microfibre cloth draped in behind to catch shavings that would otherwise fall into other instruments/wiring. That was based on the observation that any aluminum shaving that falls on a microfibre cloth seems never to come out again... :)

I was only filing the holes though, I didn't need to use a cut-off wheel that may try to "throw" filings farther away.

Panel

Most planes have the row of switches along the bottom of the panel below where the cutting will take place. You know where this is going, metal chips do not need to be scattered around the hot terminals. I like to make a ?gutter? out of 2? tape and stick that on the forward side of the panel above the switches. Doesn?t hurt to place one on the aft side of the panel either. Wouldn?t hurt to disconnect the battery. Remove your carpet before hand. 1/2? vinyl tubing duct taped into the end of your vacuum cleaner hose is handy to get in tight spots.

Don Broussard
RV9 Rebuild in Progress
57 Pacer

Check out George's upgrade

Chris

Hey Chris,
If you're around on a Sunday in near future, check out George's upgrade. He's in the hangar next to me at ZPH. Recut a new panel and prepared cut out for the same EFIS.

And by the way, if you want a new blank panel, it's easy enough using a router and your existing panel as a pattern. We've both done this several times. Happy to help if you're interested.

Last edited:
Easier out

I've done that twice and for me it was just so much easier to completely remove the old panel and replace. Ordered a new blank from Vans for less that 40 bucks.
I also, scribed lines with a sharp tool, taped off the rest and used a small drill for the corners and a cutoff wheel in airtool. Took my time, and didn't have to file all that much. Hardest part was all the nutplates, but that was much simpler on the bench than in the plane.
Either, if I can do it, you can too!
Best of luck. you're going to love the MINI and Horizons.

Back