VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 02-17-2012, 07:21 AM

Given the winter conditions, I actually didn't expect B18 to open at all. I should also point out it can close for the season very unexpectedly. They monitor conditions closely give its an FAA register airport. The first signs of thinning ie and "poof". Once closed, I've not known it to reopen until the next year.
Old 02-17-2012, 09:36 AM

Default Wheel Pants

Vlad,

If you go and you haven't yet, remove your wheel pants. You don't want to get frozen slush up inside them.

BTW - I vacation on Winnipesaukee every summer; some of the nicest collection of wooden boats around.

T.
Picture log: http://s271.photobucket.com/albums/j...8tor215/RV-9A/
Old 02-17-2012, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbo View Post
what is it like to land on a frozen lake? we need info.
Turbo, that is me behind V-Man in the photo above. LANDING is uneventful it is the TAKEOFF you have to be careful on. I did my normal 1/3rd power until 30 kts, airspeed alive, and then full power. With 200 horses under the hood and a CS prop, the sudden jolt of acceleration and P-Factor kicked me a little sideways and dropped a wing, just prior to rotation. I had FULL RIGHT RUDDER to correct this at rotation. To say the least, this was a little unexpected!

NEXT TIME I would apply power MUCH more slowly and gingerly!

Other than that, landing on ice is slick as snot!

Noah F, RV-7A

All men dream, but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men… for they may act their dream with open eyes, to make it possible. -T.E. Lawrence
Old 02-17-2012, 12:19 PM

Default No landing

Ted Chang, VAF #681
RV-9A #91048, flying since 8/2006. 2,050 hrs.

2018 Due paid
Old 02-17-2012, 01:07 PM
Forum Peruser

I just clicked on Vlad's APRS link and it appears he has made the trip today. Good tracks, Vlad. Remember, big brother is watching you!

P.S. Wow, I posted this before seeing Ted's post. Anyway, Vlad, be aware that both Ted and I are watching you!
Pilots'n Paws Pilot
N79599/APRS Automatic Position Reporting System

“Certainly, travel is more than the seeing of sights;
it is a change that goes on, deep and permanent, in the ideas of living." Miriam Beard

"It should be added that the sublime beauty of the facture brings within the realm of discourse the substructure of critical thinking. " -using Doug's Art Critique jargon link and my birthday, I get this!

Last edited by rv7boy : 02-17-2012 at 01:11 PM. Reason: Added the P.S.
Old 02-17-2012, 02:24 PM

You guys are not the only ones watching evil bravo kilo, who is now shooting the Hudson River Corridor at 1500'!

Noah F, RV-7A

All men dream, but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men… for they may act their dream with open eyes, to make it possible. -T.E. Lawrence
Old 02-17-2012, 02:29 PM
Forum Peruser

Anybody have a link to a web cam that looks at the Hudson River from downtown Manhattan? If we had set this up earlier, we could have seen him fly by!!!
P.S. Too late, I found some web cams, but he's already past the Statue of Liberty now. Probably wouldn't have seen him anyway as most of the cameras are pointed toward stuff on the ground.
Pilots'n Paws Pilot
N79599/APRS Automatic Position Reporting System

“Certainly, travel is more than the seeing of sights;
it is a change that goes on, deep and permanent, in the ideas of living." Miriam Beard

"It should be added that the sublime beauty of the facture brings within the realm of discourse the substructure of critical thinking. " -using Doug's Art Critique jargon link and my birthday, I get this!

Last edited by rv7boy : 02-17-2012 at 02:42 PM. Reason: Added the P.S.
Old 02-17-2012, 03:27 PM

I actually think Vlad did land. IF you check the raw data, there is a "long pause" of about 9 minutes. I'm sure he will post a picture

I didn't capture a picture of him on the ground but do have one of his low passes as he checked the runway.

Last edited by humptybump : 02-17-2012 at 03:34 PM.
Old 02-17-2012, 05:42 PM

Well well well. They call THIS an official RUNWAY?

I made couple passes, clean and dirty before I decided to put her down. First there is something in that gorge to pick you up and throw around like a balloon but windsock always calm.

Second, people on the runway, vehicles on the runway. They are not scared of the planes instead of moving out of the way they stop and wave you. They said cool we don't have much entertainment here. No grin for me

Third and most important. There are pools of water some deep the rest is slush. After touchdown you decelerate very fast and it's very difficult to keep the nose up without power. Water sprinkles all over the airplane.

Taxi is easy braking excellent. Takeoff normal.

I don't know how to log it. It wasn't ice it wasn't water it wasn't seaweed. Thanks everyone for watching. Wait till next year don't go tomorrow.

added; Glen captured webcam screen thanks.

Не имей сто рублей, а имей сто друзей.

Last edited by Vlad : 02-17-2012 at 06:05 PM. Reason: added screen shot
Old 02-17-2012, 06:40 PM

FAA was also watching your trip.... I will PM you the phone number to call. They want to talk to you about the TFR.

Track my RV7A!!

Bought my flying -7A
Building an -8! (Fuse)