Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 02-11-2019, 11:58 AM

Default fact checking the oil pressure gauge

All,

I saw the answer to this in a thread that I can no longer find. I have some erratic-ness in my oil pressure gauge and bought a manual gauge from HF to do some testing.

My oil pressure sending unit is mounted inside the firewall under the panel, I originally thought of unscrewing it and putting the manual gauge there for ground testing but then I don't get to compare the two so we'll scratch that bad idea.

Is there a preferred location on the accessory case or block that I should be using? I see a plug very close to the pressure relief valve that looks like a good candidate but thought I'd ask the collective before I do something I'll regret later.

Thx!

Tim
Old 02-11-2019, 12:08 PM

Unscrew the sensor and install a Tee fitting there, plug both into the Tee fitting. That gives you comparison with the existing sender at the point of pressure detection.
Old 02-11-2019, 01:58 PM

Default Different locations

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim-NJ View Post
Is there a preferred location on the accessory case or block that I should be using? I see a plug very close to the pressure relief valve that looks like a good candidate but thought I'd ask the collective before I do something I'll regret later.
Different ports will show different pressures.
Old 02-11-2019, 02:41 PM

Tim---you might rethink having the sender in the cabin. In the unlikely event that the sender starts leaking, it would spray hot oil on any passengers in the cabin, including the one flying the plane. Happens in automotive applications, so it CAN happen in experimental aircraft.

Tom
Proud Vendor for RV1, Donator to VAF
RV7 Tail Kit Completed, Fuse started-Pay as I go Plan
Ridgeland, SC
www.tsflightlines.com, www.asflightlines.com
Old 02-11-2019, 03:12 PM

I didn't think of tee'ing it off. Excellent suggestion, I'll definitely do that.

Tom - I'm the buyer but great point nonetheless. Now I'm compelled to admit that the fuel pressure sending unit is an inch over from the oil pressure sender. They are both on the pilot side so it's me who will be sprayed with oil and then catch fire. Alright... I probably shouldn't kid around like that. Since I'm the buyer I can't do the annual and will certainly seek the advice of my A&P and local EAA chapter in a couple months when it's due.

Tim
Old 02-11-2019, 07:48 PM

Tim,
You canít do the condition inspection (unless you have an A&P), but you can modify your homebilt as much as you want, as long as you feel comfortable doing this kind of work. Moving your sensors to the front side of the firewall (out of the passenger area) shouldnít be that hard to do. If itís your first time doing something like this, ask a mechanic friend or your local EAA chapter Tech Counselor to check your work. If you make a major change (this isnít a major change), youíll need to contact your local FSDO and enter a phase 1 test detail, but thatís no big deal either. You wonít have to do that by just moving your oil and fuel lines to a safer location.
RV4/bought 2016/sold/2017
RV8/2018 built/Flying
Cincinnati, OH/KHAO
JAN2019
Old 02-16-2019, 01:30 PM

Thank you all for the suggestions.
  • Changed the oil and took a sample for the lab
  • Changed the filter (nothing of concern inside)
  • Cleaned the oil screen (a very small amount of what looked like red paint chips - I have a red painted Mattuck)
  • Removed, cleaned and inspected oil pressure relief valve (nothing found)
  • New crush washers on the oil screen and relief valve.
  • Did a ground run, no leaks so I safety wired the applicable parts and closed up my RV.

I was at 45 hours since last oil change.

After all that my oil pressure is now where it had always been with no bouncing around. Go figure... I have a new problem but will start a new thread.

Last edited by Tim-NJ : 02-16-2019 at 01:31 PM. Reason: added a detail