VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 02-11-2019, 01:58 PM

Default My Recommendation

My recommendation, for what it is worth, is to run straight weight 100plus during the summer months and multiweight 5w15 during the winter months. Easy to start in winter and good protection for the summer. Also, I use camguard on every oil change. I can't help but pick up a can everytime i stop by spruce.

If you are open to saving some money and willing to try something different, instead of multiweight aeroshell during the winter, go with non-synthetic Rotella 15W40 which does a very fine job. This diesel oil works fine in our old flat tappet lycomings and the non-synthetic will do a good job suspending the lead as well as having an excellent detergent package for keeping the inside of engine clean.

RV-3 Sold
RV-4 Sold
RV-6a Sold
RV-9 IO-360 CS, Built and Flying
Comanche 260 - poor mans RV-10
Old 02-11-2019, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkervaski View Post
So that's concerning. At 50 hours should I go ahead and switch to w100 plus instead of the 100 straight mineral oil to avoid any build up that a later switch to w100 plus may dislodge?
Yes, this was right from Jeff (Mr. Thunderbolt) at Lycoming to switch to AD oil as soon as break in is completed.

Leesburg, VA
RV-14A kit # 140243 (flying as of 11/18)
VAF 2018 and 2019 paid
www.mykitlog.com/chrismoon/
Old 02-11-2019, 03:18 PM

Ever looked up the kinematic viscosity values for Aeroshell W100 Plus and Aeroshell 15W-50?

At 40C (104F), they are 200 and 140, the multigrade being less of course. Being less, it pumps easily. Among other little details, it means the oil filter bypass is less likely to be opening.

At 100C (212F), they are 20.2 and 19.6...no practical difference.

So, yes, the multigrade is much superior in the cold, with no compromise when hot. 100W offers no additional protection in the summer.

https://www.shell.com/business-custo...-book-3peo.pdf

Look at Viscosity Index too. 15W-50's higher VI simply means it is less thick when cold and less thin when hot.

Lycoming says 20W50 or 15W50 are "all temperature". There is no reason to switch back and forth between straight and multigrade.
Old 02-11-2019, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanH View Post
Ever looked up the kinematic viscosity values for Aeroshell W100 Plus and Aeroshell 15W-50?

At 40C (104F), they are 200 and 140, the multigrade being less of course. Being less, it pumps easily. Among other little details, it means the oil filter bypass is less likely to be opening.

At 100C (212F), they are 20.2 and 19.6...no practical difference.

So, yes, the multigrade is much superior in the cold, with no compromise when hot. 100W offers no additional protection in the summer.

https://www.shell.com/business-custo...-book-3peo.pdf

Look at Viscosity Index too. 15W-50's higher VI simply means it is less thick when cold and less thin when hot.

Lycoming says 20W50 or 15W50 are "all temperature". There is no reason to switch back and forth between straight and multigrade.
I agree with what Dan said.

Just like primers, you will get as many different opinions on oil as there are oils. Sticking with what the engine manufacturer or builder recommends and you will not go wrong.

Once oil consumption stabilizes after overhaul / break-in, any of the AD oils that are recommended by the engine people will be good.

I always use the multi-weight oils for the reasons Dan posted. I like and have good luck with Phillips 20W-50M for break-in.
3,300+ hours
Where is N157GS
Building RV-8 S/N: 80012

To most people, the sky is the limit.
To those who love aviation, the sky is home.
Old 02-11-2019, 04:46 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Based on this should my 100 hour be 15w-50, w100 Plus, or should I stick with the mineral oil?
Many years ago I asked an Aeroshell rep this same question. He said that for the Texas climate the 100W+ was fine year-round and also the least expensive.

Unless you do a lot of cross-country flying to the North during winter, I would think the advice would apply to your situation as well. 750 hours later, engine runs great (knock on wood), takes about 1 qt every 12-14 hours. (O-360 A1A).

My 2 cents.

Chris
Lycoming O-360-A1A, Hartzell CS
52F (Aero Valley Airport, TX)
Old 02-11-2019, 05:01 PM

I've opened up a lot of engines that use Aeroshell.

I've opened up a lot of engines that use X/C.

If someone gave me a case of Aeroshell I would give it away.

If someone gave me a case of Camguard, I would sell it on ebay.
N244BJ RV-6 "victim of SNF tornado" 1200+ hrs, rebuilding
N8155F C150 flying
N7925P PA-24-250 Comanche, restoring
Not a thing I own is stock.
Old 02-11-2019, 05:10 PM

Default EAA Mike Busch

Mike Busch is the EAA oil guru. He has several webinar videos as it relates to engine overhaul, breakin and operation as it relates to engine wear, types of oil to use and what causes the most wear in our type piston engines. You will be surprised when you watch and take advantage of his extensive research.
Old 02-11-2019, 05:18 PM

Quote:
I've opened up a lot of engines that use Aeroshell.

I've opened up a lot of engines that use X/C.

If someone gave me a case of Aeroshell I would give it away.

If someone gave me a case of Camguard, I would sell it on ebay.
Well .. so much for my order of w100 and Camguard from Spruce ..
#140376 RV-14A QB IO-390 Thunderbolt
Progress: Flying!
Old 02-11-2019, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Well .. so much for my order of w100 and Camguard from Spruce ..
funny.

I use Aeroshell 15-50 semisynthetic based on my own experience and the recommendation of a buddy who maintains a fleet of a couple dozen aircraft.
One oil for both airplanes year round to make it easy, not because itís cheap, or even better.

I firmly believe if you fly often, at least once a month, keep your airplane in a decent environment, and change oil per the recommended 50 hours (with filter), you can use just about anything and reach TBO.

RV6 - Builder/Flying
Bucker Jungmann
Fiat G.46 -(restoration in progress, if I have enough life left in me)
RV1 - Proud Pilot.
Old 02-11-2019, 05:45 PM

Since break in, we have been using Exxon Elite 15/50. I have used this oil in 3 other RV's with great success. We are presently using 2 qts per 50 hrs. Blackstone oil analysis have been very positive for 200 hrs on the IO390.