Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 02-10-2019, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scsmith View Post
I looked through that link before. I didn't find the spaceport or the windmill markings.
Space Launch Activity Area - Page 44. Wind Turbines & WT Farms - Page 31.
(Pic 1),(Pic 2)
- Out with the Old, In with the New
(Pic)
RV-8, 1938 Tach Hours (Pic 1),(Pic 2) - Sold

Glasflügel Standard Libelle 201B, N564NS - Sold
Rolladen-Schneider LS1-f, N61MP - No longer owned
Old 02-10-2019, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Yeah, I know. I always think of him though. I helped take the (then) new PIK-20E self-launch glider on a marketing tour through the southwest to show it off. Summer of 1978 or 79. We spent a couple of days in Midland. Wally put us up, and took us to one of his theatres as a treat. I think we saw a Starwars movie, but not sure. Anyway, a terrific guy as well as a terrific competitor.
That's cool! The second fiberglass sailplane I flew was the PIK-20B, and the first no-spoiler/flap-only ship I flew. The first was the Grob Astir CS when Dr. Richard Eppler brought one of the prototypes over for a U.S. tour. I was a newly minted, but low time, CFI-G, and he checked me out in it at the Soaring Society of Dayton between my Senior year of college and Grad school (Aerospace Engineering). At the end of the U.S. tour, that particular Astir CS was purchased by the Boeing Company for noise research (N707NL), nicknamed "Noise Lab". A few years later I got to fly it many times again as a member of the Boeing Employees' Soaring Club after the Company donated it to the Club. And yes, I'm getting old!
(Pic 1),(Pic 2)
- Out with the Old, In with the New
(Pic)
RV-8, 1938 Tach Hours (Pic 1),(Pic 2) - Sold

Glasflügel Standard Libelle 201B, N564NS - Sold
Rolladen-Schneider LS1-f, N61MP - No longer owned

Last edited by RV8JD : 02-10-2019 at 07:08 PM.
Old 02-11-2019, 01:06 AM

Quote:
I guess the Virgin Galactic guys fly out of Mohave, so that kind of makes sense, although it all happens up so high I don't see why it would be important for VFR charts.

But what is at Midland? What do they do there that makes it a "space port"?
Not all rockets go into space and they all do pass through the lower altitudes to get higher. Might be a good idea to listen to atis or check notams for a launch schedule, could get a unpleasant surprise.
Old 02-11-2019, 01:16 PM

The Midland International Air and Space Port - the greatest pile of political BS to hit west Texas, but yes it's real. KMAF is a legitimate "spaceport" because XCOR (at least I think it was them) came out here and leased a hangar with lots of grand plans, and then it all evaporated after they spent a buttload of city grants and the airport got the official Spaceport designation.

As for the rest, yes the oilfield out here are pretty intense - you will see oil wells every few hundred yards in some areas for miles. The wind turbines are a relatively recent addition but they are becoming quite plentiful, fairly popular with the farmers because unlike the oilfield, they still get to use the land under the turbines for farming.
Old 02-11-2019, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by airguy View Post
The Midland International Air and Space Port - the greatest pile of political BS to hit west Texas, but yes it's real. KMAF is a legitimate "spaceport" because XCOR (at least I think it was them) came out here and leased a hangar with lots of grand plans, and then it all evaporated after they spent a buttload of city grants and the airport got the official Spaceport designation.
There's always this "spaceport"

http://airnav.com/airport/48U
Old 02-11-2019, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy123 View Post
Not all rockets go into space and they all do pass through the lower altitudes to get higher. Might be a good idea to listen to atis or check notams for a launch schedule, could get a unpleasant surprise.
Well, actually, no. The rocket is air-launched from a carrier aircraft at about 40,000 ft.

When it comes back down to earth, it is not a rocket, it is a glider. So maybe it should have a glider symbol next to it

Yeah, I read about XCOR at Midland. Even after they were dead, the City Council voted to keep spending money, putting good money after bad. Hope springs eternal.
IO-360 A1A
WW 200RV
"The Magic Carpet"
Hobbs 525 in 9 years (would have flown more this year if not for fire smoke)
also LS-6-15/18 sailplane
VAF donation Jan 2019