Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Model Specific > RV-10
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-04-2019, 07:44 AM

Default Where to put the Garmin GMU 11 ?

I was hoping to put the GMU 11 in the top of the tail cone at the bulkhead located where the pitch servo is installed. It's the bulkhead aft of the baggage bulkhead. The Garmin manual has alot of restrictions to avoid magnetic disturbances, i.e., 10 feet from electric motors, relays and servos and 3 feet from control cables, etc..

Where have others mounted it and have you had any disturbance issues. I'll be using non magnetic materials for the mount.

Jerry
Old 02-04-2019, 09:28 AM

Generally, we have had the best results in the wing, preferably the wing tip. If mounting on the outboard wing rib, position the GMU 11 as far aft as practical to avoid any lighting/wiring in the leading edge of the tip. The ailerons of the RV-10 do not have the galvanized pipe in the leading edge which allows you to move the magnetometer further aft than in other RVs.
RV-7 (Sold)
RV-8 (Helped build Bob Lund's airplane)
www.phaviation.com Trim Relay Boards/Flap Actuators
www.pathatch.com/blog (Photography)
Track Me
Old 02-04-2019, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat Hatch View Post
Generally, we have had the best results in the wing, preferably the wing tip. If mounting on the outboard wing rib, position the GMU 11 as far aft as practical to avoid any lighting/wiring in the leading edge of the tip. The ailerons of the RV-10 do not have the galvanized pipe in the leading edge which allows you to move the magnetometer further aft than in other RVs.
The RV-10 does have a stainless steel pipe counterbalance in the aileron outboard leading edge.

I have a wing mount for GMU 11 and am also curious about the best placement - which is more problematic? the lighting or the steel counterbalance?
Old 02-04-2019, 10:58 AM

I mounted mine in the tailcone exactly where Jerry suggested and it works fine and passed the Garmin prescribed test.
Bob
Old 02-04-2019, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsvantho View Post
The RV-10 does have a stainless steel pipe counterbalance in the aileron outboard leading edge.

I have a wing mount for GMU 11 and am also curious about the best placement - which is more problematic? the lighting or the steel counterbalance?
The last RV-10 panel install we did was with the GMU 22 and here is where we mounted it. The counterbalance in the leading edge of the aileron did not appear to be magnetic as we could not get a magnet to stick to it unlike the other RVs with the galvanized pipes. So we biased the location towards the rear. In this particular airplane we relocated the GMU 22 from the shelf over the pitch servo as the owner was having magnetic interference messages in flight during Phase I. After we moved it, no more messages.

Others have reported no problems with the magnetometer tailcone location in the RV-10, so it's kind of hit or miss. We've had other similar issues with the magnetometer in the fuselage particularity in the RV-8. Never had any issues with the wingtip location.
RV-7 (Sold)
Track Me
Old 02-04-2019, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat Hatch View Post
The last RV-10 panel install we did was with the GMU 22 and here is where we mounted it. The counterbalance in the leading edge of the aileron did not appear to be magnetic as we could not get a magnet to stick to it unlike the other RVs with the galvanized pipes. So we biased the location towards the rear. In this particular airplane we relocated the GMU 22 from the shelf over the pitch servo as the owner was having magnetic interference messages in flight during Phase I. After we moved it, no more messages.

Others have reported no problems with the magnetometer tailcone location in the RV-10, so it's kind of hit or miss. We've had other similar issues with the magnetometer in the fuselage particularity in the RV-8. Never had any issues with the wingtip location.
Am considering this approach if I have problems with my placement over the pitch servo. Did you rig this unit parallel to the rib? Were you able to confirm that the rib is parallel to the fuse centerline in the longitudinal dimension?

Larry
Old 02-04-2019, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lr172 View Post
Am considering this approach if I have problems with my placement over the pitch servo. Did you rig this unit parallel to the rib? Were you able to confirm that the rib is parallel to the fuse centerline in the longitudinal dimension?

Larry
Larry,

We assumed that the rib is parallel to the longitudinal axis and, yes, we mounted it parallel to the rib.

We recently (about a year ago) installed a GMU 11 in a Glasair III's right wing. Here we snapped a longitudinal axis chalk line on the hangar floor and transferred it out to the wing mount location and used plumb bobs to transfer the axis line up to the wing. This worked out very well. This airplane has been flying for about a year now with no issues.
RV-7 (Sold)
Track Me

Last edited by Pat Hatch : 02-04-2019 at 01:57 PM.
Old 02-04-2019, 02:15 PM

Default Where to put the GMU

I also put mine in the tailcone, between the 2nd and 3rd bulkheads back, the BC bulkhead being number 1. Works fine there.
Old 02-04-2019, 06:14 PM

Thumbs up My GMU22

I mounted my GMU22 under the RV7A empennage fairing just like Garmin says that you can do. I have helped two of my RV6A buddies mount their GMU11 in the same location and mounted with the plug turned toward the center line. No problems. I do not know if this location is suitable for the RV10.

Web site: http://www.newtech.com/bobbyhester/RVSite.htm
Dec. 2018 VAF donator - alot better than any magazine subscription

Last edited by bhester : 02-05-2019 at 05:52 AM.
Old 02-04-2019, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob888 View Post
I mounted mine in the tailcone exactly where Jerry suggested and it works fine and passed the Garmin prescribed test.
Bob
Same here when I built my -10. No interference problems at all on my build.

RV-9A: Under Construction.
RV-10: Completed 12/29/2013 SOLD 08/23/2016

"Donor Exempt" but donated through Dec. 2019